Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Counter-strike: Source Freezing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 luciora

luciora

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:23 AM

Hi, As the title, my counter strike source freezes all of a sudden(only the game, not curser, i can alt tab but the css page that was up stays on there and i cant DO anything, including end task, so im forced to shut down computer and restart via button on machine, when i first start it up (the options main page, eg. config, locate battleground, disconnect and all that)
Theres not much else i can say really, ive redownloaded the game and installed and made no difference, i just got new speakers, but it was working before with them, and dosent work with them unplugged.

Any help would be appriciated, thanks
~Luciora
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 06:50 PM

What are your system specs? Do you have this problem with other games? Have you updated your graphics drivers lately?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 luciora

luciora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:21 PM

AMD x2 6400 3.2
8800 GTS 512
2gb DDR2 ram
windows xp pro
onboard surround sound

Dont have this problem with other games

Nope i havent upgraded gfx drivers since i first installed them.
Posted Image

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:41 PM

Here are the latest drivers for your card (I assumed you were running windows xp 32-bit) http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_169.21_whql.html

The drivers are from December though so they are probably the same ones you have now.

I don't know what else could be wrong. You might want to go to the steam forums, and see if you can get some help there. I've had so many problems with steam and steam games before...
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:16 AM

Could you specify the "freezing". Is it that dreaded frozen screen with whatever sound thats playing looping over and over again?
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#6 luciora

luciora
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:04 AM

yep its that dreaded freezing one and whatever sound playing over and over again.
any hints, ideas, clues *hopeful*
Posted Image

#7 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:35 AM

I had the same problem occasionaly with Counter Strike: Source, but I had it happen all the damn time in Half-Life 2, which is pretty much the same game. I've don't have the time right this moment, ( school ) but I remember it was a problem I think soundcard or something out of sync. If you don't feel like waiting untill later today you can check the Valve forums but it's a little long.

Update: Well, it could be a few things, found the pafe on the steam forums. Steam help page

I would also update video card drivers if you haven't already. Since that card there is pretty new, much better then mine! :thumbsup:\

Hope that page works!

Edited by protozero, 18 March 2008 - 04:44 PM.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users