Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Access Prog Files, My Docs, Windows Through Share

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Longy

Longy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:58 AM

Hope I'm in the right Forum - would networking be more appropriate?

I am replacing a 'server' running Windows XP Pro with a new DELL box. I have used Symantec Ghost to image the old drive and put the image on the new box and then did a repair installation from the original DELL CD. I was surprised that it all went very well - it did not even ask me for XP validation!!

Everything on the new box seems to work OK. The software used by the remote computers (all running XP Pro) requires access to the data files that are stored below Program Files.

The C drive is shared with full access to everyone, and the Program Files folder is also shared similarly.

I can remotely access all folders on the new box drive excepting Program Files, Documents & Settings/'Logged in user' Folder and Windows.

The old box when I place in back in the LAN works fine.

I have tried replacing Program Files owner (Security/Advanced/Owner) to the administrators group without success. I have also tried creating a user name with admin rights on the server box. Still no go.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:18 AM

Have you tried taking ownership of the files in question?

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

I might also just create a new Administrators/Users group in permissions to see what effect that might have.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 March 2008 - 09:22 AM.

#3 Longy

Longy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:29 PM

Seem to have solved it, but not sure which step was the successful one.

The steps I took were:

1. Take ownership of Program Files folder for Administrators Group (with Replace owner of sub containers and objects checked). I had previously done this without success and again on it's own it did not work.

2. In Program Files folder Properties/Security/Advanced/Permissions I chose "Inherit from parent the permission entries ...explicitly defined here". Again this on its own did not solve the problem. When I checked effective permissions for the Administrators Group in this area it again showed I had full permissions.

3. In Program Files folder Properties/Sharing/Permissions there was only "EVERYONE" listed. I added the Administrators Group to this and gave it full access. This seemed to work.

4. I then repeated these all steps with the My Document/'logged in user' folder and checked on each step. This did not work until I repeated step one after steps 2 and 3.

Thank goodness the problem is solved but I don't understand entirely whats going on.

Thanks for your help guys. :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:08 PM

Glad you solved it :thumbsup:.

It seems that you may have had two separate issues:

a. Permissions for programs.

b. The not-unusual problem with Documents/Settings or My Docs of taking ownership of the folder/files.

Happy computing!

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users