Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keeping Backups On Hard Drive For Reinstallation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 agoecs

agoecs

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:46 PM

I'm currently using last xp. I've had some problems with my computer restarting at seemingly random times. My buddy who knows computers well couldn't find anything wrong with it. He ran lots of antivirus sweeps and registry stuff and all those bios tests on the hard drive, stress tests, etc. I'm thinking last xp may be a problem (any suggestion about whether it may be or not would be nice). But even if it isn't, I do have a legitimate copy of XP (can't remember why we used last xp actually). I know how to backup my files, but I don't want to go out and buy discs to copy a whole bunch of stuff to them. If I make a backup package and keep it on my hard drive, will those files still be around if I (re)install XP? Or would they be wiped out as well? Is there some way I can save my files without having to copy them all to discs? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:15 AM

How many hard drives are installed?

What is the stated capacity for each?

How much free space is on each?

Do you have any unallocated space on any drive?

Do you have a program like Partition Magic that allows for adjusting the size of partitions?

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:46 AM

Assuming you downloaded it from a torrent site, I'd guess there are some corrupt or missing files in the download
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 agoecs

agoecs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:33 PM

My buddy got it and installed it on my computer. I don't know where he got it.

I have one hard drive. It says 111 gig capacity, 53.0 gig of free space. What is unallocated space if not free space? You mean not allocated for system restore space and all that? I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure I have some unallocated space with that much free space. I don't have any partition programs that I know of unless they came with last xp. Are there any good free ones?

And do you mean that I can make a partition of my drive and then move the files I want to keep to the new partition and then install windows on the other partition (the one that won't have my documents, etc. on it)?

#5 agoecs

agoecs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:25 PM

And is that a no? The backup won't be saved?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:28 PM

My buddy got it and installed it on my computer. I don't know where he got it.

I have one hard drive. It says 111 gig capacity, 53.0 gig of free space. What is unallocated space if not free space? You mean not allocated for system restore space and all that? I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure I have some unallocated space with that much free space. I don't have any partition programs that I know of unless they came with last xp. Are there any good free ones?

And do you mean that I can make a partition of my drive and then move the files I want to keep to the new partition and then install windows on the other partition (the one that won't have my documents, etc. on it)?

1. Unallocated space on a hard drive is capacity which has not yet been formatted and partitioned. To see such, I would go into Disk Management and look at the drive. Your stated capacity for that drive is 120 GB, but the formatted (whole drive is formatted) space reduces to 111 GB. So you don't have any unallocated space.

2. I don't know any free programs for partitioning/resizing programs. I will say that it pays to have such a program, IMO, and I don't mind paying for it. The program I use is 6 years old now (I think) and cost me $39 (I think), well worth it.

3. Yes, a disk partitioning tool would allow you to resize any existing partitions...and then create new/additional partitions...if the drive had sufficient room for such.

4. The My Documents folder will still appear on the same partition as Windows, even if you move it (actually, it's just a shortcut that appears on the C: partition then). My suggestion would be to move the contents of My Documents to a different partition, since many users tend to keep anything but documents in that folder.

Louis

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:47 PM

2. I don't know any free programs for partitioning/resizing programs. I will say that it pays to have such a program, IMO, and I don't mind paying for it. The program I use is 6 years old now (I think) and cost me $39 (I think), well worth it.

3. Yes, a disk partitioning tool would allow you to resize any existing partitions...and then create new/additional partitions...if the drive had sufficient room for such.

Louis

Ranish Partition Manager
Not the most user-friendly GUI but it is free
It's been around awhile
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users