Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating Ghost Restore Dvd Set

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kristopher McDougall

Kristopher McDougall

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:32 PM

Hey everyone ... what I am wanting to do with a new system build for a customer is create a ghost restore dvd for them. I know how to go about creating the image over several cds/dvds but what I need help with is making the dvd bootable and have it start ghost and start the restore process with limited user intervention (ie maybe a message asking are you SURE you want to erase everything on the comp).

If there is a better way to do this than using ghost I am open to all ideas.

Thanks !

KM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:47 PM

Having a backup spread accross several dvd's or a lot of cd's is problematic at best, it's better to partition the hard drive or even better to do it to a second hard drive. Burning cd's and dvd's and then reading them back without any errors can be a hit or miss operation until everything is just right. After helping people with a few hundred burn logs spread out over the last 3 years I guess I have lost faith in optical backups and the average user.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Kristopher McDougall

Kristopher McDougall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:55 PM

Hey Chew -

Thanks for the info, yeah you really have a point there. If I put the restore image on a second hard dirve or even a second partition would there be anyway to hide it so the user couldn't delete it something? If it were on a second hd/partition how would I automate the process of doing the restore?

Thanks for the help!

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:35 PM

If you are afraid of them deleting it, you would be better off keeping the image on one of your hard drives, we thought about that for a business where we had 4 different computers but never got around to it, ghost was having problems with raid stripes and sata hard drives at the time.

Back then we used a boot floppy that ghost made, today it would probably be a bootcd?

Automate? Disk imaging and reinstalling is not that easy?

Edited by DaChew, 12 March 2008 - 11:35 PM.

Chewy

#5 Kristopher McDougall

Kristopher McDougall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:01 AM

Howdy again ... so after some further research I found this ... http://users.pandora.be/satcp/ghostresq01.htm

The page has great info, step by step instructions to create a bootable cd/dvd with ghost and image on the media and fully automated. It just seems like the would work better because I am not on site to do the imaging for them. I hope it is something they will not use often but it would be nice to have something quick for a 'just in case'.

Well thanks for the advice ... KM

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:09 AM

Copyright of all documents and scripts belonging to this site by SatCP 1999-2001

back in the windows 98 days, very dated

Edited by DaChew, 13 March 2008 - 12:09 AM.

Chewy

#7 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:03 PM

This is one of the best sites to learn about Ghost.

http://ghost.radified.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users