Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sick Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BigIsleLil

BigIsleLil

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:21 PM

My new (3mos. old) Dell 1720 with Windows vista runs as badly as an Apple 2e, I tossed awhile back. "Ignorant Monkey" described problems he's been having with his XP, and I've tried following the advise, but spend my few hours at home with this garbage. Following is what I've done:
-AVG 7.5 system runs daily or whenever.
-I emptied recycle/trash, deleted cookies,temporary internet files.
-Installed "Ad-aware". Followed your instructions to perform full system scan. The computer shut down in the middle of about 3 scans. It detected 261 infections after 8 minutes. It kept running for about 2 hours: screen froze. Computer shut down when I attempted to double-click the Ad-aware icon, so I look for the Lavasoft Download and run from there. It shut-down computer &/or froze a couple times after that.

-Then I tried installing "Super Anti-spyware" computer crashed... shut-down with that. It is now flashing at the bottom of my screen, but I want to finish this before I play with that stuff again.

-Next I installed Spybot. It found 17 problems and could not fix 14:
Fun Web products 4 entries
My Way.MyWebSearch 5 entries
Fun Web 2 entries
My Web Search 3 entries.

An excuse for not fixing was that I am not the Administrator. I'm the only user/owner of this computer: but baffled.

Some of the items are on Directory, some on Registry. It did fix my homepage to: "msn.com", and not msn.com/true something, which actually changed after I installed Windows Live: which is when my system got so much worse.

One item that definitely created issues was the "free screensavers" site (Fun Web?), and a small cursor device which I can't seem to get rid of. Never got the screensavers. When I tried to search for programs, my computer shut down or froze.

I also checked my "Tools" to disable devices, but can't get rid of the cursor. Among programs, the only odd one that I found was " Microsoft Silverlight" installed on 12/21/07, when the Microsoft Updates has no items added. I tried to uninstall "Microsoft Silverlight" and got message "An unidentified program wants access to your Computer" under "User account control" It was that program, which is identified as Update 1.0.21115.0 Microsoft Corp. I cancelled two times not sure what was going on.

Sorry for the lengthy talk, but I have done nothing of benefit to me with this piece of garbage computer for several days. I'm borrowing other people's computers to read my mail and wasting the few hours I have with above.

Now I'll try running one of the spyware program and do something else. Any ideas? Thanks for being here. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:38 PM

Hello if you still need help try disabling Spybot's TeaTimer application as it causes interference with some of the other tools. Than you can run the scan again

You can disable TeaTimer 2 ways

To disable TeaTimer and remove its startup entry:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Resident
Uncheck (if checked) the following:
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) Active.

To temporarally close TeaTimer and restart it later:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
TeaTimer closes.
Restart TeaTimer:
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

Reboot is NOT necessary for the change to take effect.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2827

now try runnining the Superantispyware scan again and post the scanlog,thanks.

Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware , Free Home Version. Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opers browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Starbuck

Starbuck

'r Brudiwr

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:59 PM

One item that definitely created issues was the "free screensavers" site (Fun Web?), and a small cursor device which I can't seem to get rid of. Never got the screensavers. When I tried to search for programs, my computer shut down or froze.

Have a look at the installed programs you have... and remove anything that is related to 'funweb products'.
There should be some in your add/remove.
As you are running Vista, follow these instructions to get to add/remove.

Click on Start .... Control Panel .... then under the Programs heading... click uninstall a program.
Now look through the list for anything relating to:
Fun Web Products
My Search Bar
My Search Assistant
Free Screensavers

click on anything related to this.... and delete them.
When finished... reboot your computer.

If you followed the advice by boopme ... they may have been removed already.

Edited by Starbuck, 16 March 2008 - 07:01 PM.

BBPP6nz.png

#4 BigIsleLil

BigIsleLil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2008 - 12:49 AM

Thanks for your help. I still have the cursor gizmo and tried going through all Downloads, devices, etc., and could not find it. I did get Spybot to work "As Administrator" (by right-clicking it on program list) and it claimed to have healed all the problems: but the gizmo is still here?? I also scanned all programs and downloads with Super-spyware (found clean).

Ad-Aware and Super Spyware cause the computer to freeze up or shut down when I run scans: so far. The frustration has cut down on my computer time, so I'll get back to you when I've followed your suggestions. Again, thanks.

#5 BigIsleLil

BigIsleLil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:33 AM

Hello again,
Still have the cursor gizmo. To Starbuck: none of those items were listed amongst programs. I've also searched downloads and nothing. Could it possibly be hiding in software added prior to my computer purchase?
I also looked at tools, the "manage add-ons" feature. Found nothing fitting the original description. Just disabled some "Java plug ins" that run without permission. They were labeled as downloaded. Will see what happens when I shut-down. Things have been getting weird when I shut-down and disable what I shouldn't have, but these look suspicious (since I don't know what they are).

Tried running Super Anti-Spyware scan again today (about the dozenth time), and it froze the computer between 35 and 45 minutes running. It shows that it's never run a full scan, as it freezes or shuts down the computer, then the next 2-3 restarts have the computer shutting down. On days I'm home only and hour or two, I just give it up. It shows my Memory (654 items) and Registry (6089) items okay, but froze after about 2362 files with 0 infections. Not sure if its a Windows Vista problem or what. On March 16th, it froze after 2884 files were scanned.
Both ad-aware and Super Anti-Spyware have been unable to run a complete scan yet.

Any more ideas? I'll see how my next restart is after disabling the java plug-ins... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users