Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Worst Problem....ever!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jfiore3

jfiore3

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:18 PM

Ok, so I am a newbie to this forum, so if I make a mistake I am sorry. Here is my issue: 4 new computers all with the same components. Here is what is inside:

Shuttle SX38P2 Pro
Intel E8400 @3.0 ghz (not overclocked)
4Gbs of G. Skill DDR2 RAM (Approved from Shuttle website)
Lite On SATA DVD Burner
150GB WD Raptor Drive
500GB WD 7200rpm Drive
XFX 8600 GT PCI-E Video card

Here is my problem: I go to install Windows XP Pro SP2 (legit copies) and the file copy from the CD to disk is very slow (approx. 10 - 15 minutes). Then the GUI installation screen gets stuck at 34 minutes. Now, here is the kicker....2 of these installs worked without a hitch!!! I have been working on the other 2 for over 3 weeks now, on and off. Here is what I have done to try and fix the issue:

1. Tried different hard drive (No Dice!)
2. Tested RAM with Memtest (1 stick was bad, so I removed it and the other tested fine)
3. Changed Motherboards from Shuttle (No luck here)
4. Changed SATA cables from DVD drive

The BIOS is the most up-to-date one from Shuttle, I have a legit copy of Windows XP Pro SP2. I have called Shuttle and they are no help. I am not sure what to do. I have built over 20 computers and have never run into this problem and now I have the exact same issue on 2 of them. Any and all help is so greatly appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:34 PM

1. some sata dvd burners hate that jmicron controller

that's a lot of heat/power for such a small case, what are specs on the power supply?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:39 PM

I suspect that this is the infamous 34 minute hiccup and here's a couple of links on how to fix it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828267/en-us
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsg...p;sloc=&p=1
http://techtracer.com/2007/03/12/xp-instal...-minute-hiccup/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 jfiore3

jfiore3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:53 PM

1. some sata dvd burners hate that jmicron controller

that's a lot of heat/power for such a small case, what are specs on the power supply?

It is whatever came with the system. I do know it is an 80+ energy efficient blah, blah, blah power supply. I might try and get another one from the, but I can't imagine that 2 power supplies in 2 different barebones would be bad. Also, the jmicron controller doesn't see any drives. It is all on the intel controller on the motherboard. I do have 4 sata ports, and 3 of them are used. There aren't different colored ones, like on other boards. They are all yellow/orange. The CPU & Memory are on the Shuttle approved list.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:02 PM

what mode are the sata drives in?
Chewy

#6 jfiore3

jfiore3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:50 PM

what mode are the sata drives in?

The SATA drives are in IDE becuase I am not doing a RAID install and Legacy is disabled. I tried it with Legacy enabled and it worked once, but it hasn't since then.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:45 AM

I never could find any reference to what the jmicron actually controlled for that mobo

might just be the 2 esatas and the ide

I did notice the first driver you should load is a hotpatch for xp, that would seem to be related to the 34 minute hicup that john
refers to.

that workaround for getting xp to load might be worth a try

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828267/en-us

see the resolution

the latest bios might have made the problem worse?

saw this "long ago and far away" with win 95 and amd cpu's @ 350 and up

my first barebone, egghead shipped me a 350 instead of a 300 and it wouldn't load 95 at all

Edited by DaChew, 13 March 2008 - 08:47 AM.

Chewy

#8 jfiore3

jfiore3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:18 AM

Ok, back at work...time to give this a go.

EDIT: Ok, I did finally get into DOS and found that it is my TI 1394 controller that is the faulty hardware. I have been having issues with this piece of hardware all week. I deleted the inf file, per the instructions, but it locked up again. I don't want to do this 20 times, cause I know that is what is going to happen. Is there anyplace I can find a different driver and slipstream an install cd?? Or should I just call Shuttle and get a different system?

Edited by jfiore3, 13 March 2008 - 10:56 AM.

#9 jfiore3

jfiore3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:04 PM

Just for some closure here...after many attempts to fix this problem on my own, I am going to meet with some of the people from Shuttle tomorrow in CA. They are going to get me some new barebones after they test the ones I have. I did figure out that the 1394 controller is the problem, but I can't make it go away. Thanks for all the help and I will post the resolution to this.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:33 PM

can't you disable it in bios? then install xp? and then load a patch or a new driver?
Chewy

#11 jfiore3

jfiore3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 08:44 AM

can't you disable it in bios? then install xp? and then load a patch or a new driver?

I looked all over the BIOS for that. I can only disable the USB support, which of course wouldn't help. I think it is the daughter board that has all of the front panel connecters, including a Firewire B port (the small one).

#12 jfiore3

jfiore3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:16 PM

So, for some closure. I went to Shuttle today and met with one of the head RMA guys and techs. They took my 2 busted systems and about 2 hours later, gave me my computers back with new front bezels (that had the daughter cards attached) and new motherboards. I guess I was the victim of a couple of bad motherboards. It happens. Thanks for all the help from everyone here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users