Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Permissions Question

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 enviroko

enviroko

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:31 PM

Hi, I am trying to run a program that I just installed on my XP Pro SP2 computer but when I double-click the exe I'm getting denied access. The user account that I am using, (my name) is an administrator account. The file and parent folder are both marked as "read only" but I can't change them. I have "Full Control" permissions.

Help please...Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:14 PM

Hello,

What is the name of the program that is causing the problem? Have you tried to re install the program?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:21 PM

if you are good with computers try this

go to start then run
in that prompt type in cmd
in the window that pops up(cmd) navigate to the folder that the file is in.
by using this command cd "C:\Program Files\appfolder" where "appfolder" is the folder name of the app
finally type in attrib -r appname.exe where appname is the name of the exe.

finally exit the prompt by typing in [i]exit

then try running the exe
i hope that works

EDIT: you can also try taking ownership of this file

Edited by powerjuce, 12 March 2008 - 05:45 PM.

#4 enviroko

enviroko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:49 AM

Hello,

What is the name of the program that is causing the problem? Have you tried to re install the program?

All-in-one Spy. Checking up on the kid's activities :thumbsup:

I did try removing the read only attribute from a command prompt but that didn't work.

I tried logging on using the default administrator account and that account cannot access the file either. Same thing with two other admin accounts on the PC. I even tried using the default admin account to give myself full control of the entire C:\ drive and that didn't work either.

I'll try a reinstall.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Edited by enviroko, 13 March 2008 - 10:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users