Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Heatsink/fan Question.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SunChipz

SunChipz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:30 PM

Well, my fan died on me a few days ago, so I can't turn my computer on for more than a few minutes before it shuts itself off (overheating, I know).

Here's a link for the fan specs, and my processor.

Now. Once I realized that the fan wasn't spinning anymore (took a shutdown or 3 for me to notice), I unhooked it and cleaned it out as best I could, thinking perhaps too much dust was causing the problem. Didn't help. I'm guessing the thing's good n' dead.

Thats a problem, because I'm basically crippled without my computer. Now I haven't turned it on since I took the heatsink/fan out because I don't really want to put my mobo at risk. But I don't think I should be worrying much about that. I figure it'll shut itself down before allowing me to fry anything. But I need my computer running. And it'll be anywhere between a few more days to a few more weeks before I can get a new heatsink/fan.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime?

I had the idea of keeping the side panel off (or both if that helps more), plugging up a fan nearby and having it blow directly into the tower. A window-fan cranked up on HIGH blows a lot harder than this little DC 12v box I have sitting here in my lap. Would it keep my processor from overheating?

Or maybe a smaller heatsink/fan from my old, fossil of a computer? I don't know if thats even possible, and even if it is, it seems like the big fan blowing into the tower would be the better of the two ideas...

But I wanted at least a second opinion before I went playing MacGyver. So any thoughts shared on my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by SunChipz, 12 March 2008 - 02:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:05 PM

If you run your computer without a heatsink/fan there is no doubt you will FRY your processor. The thermal protection can only save you so many times before its too late and you cause unrepairable damage.

Edit: Even using your heatsink and an external fan could possibly work although I do not reccomend it. DO NOT RUN THE COMPUTER WITH OUT THE HEATSINK

Edited by Sneakycyber, 12 March 2008 - 03:08 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Baric

Baric

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:37 PM

I agree, don't run without the heat sick and something to cool the sink. Like Sneaky said, it might work with an external fan blowing across the sink, but it's not a great idea. You can get these things cheap in any local computer store, why wait weeks or even days? If you need the system, get a replacement cpu cooler BEFORE you use it again.

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:37 PM

I would think one of those fans you describe could be a decent temporary substitute for you're dead fan but I'm sure if there's any independant computer store that they'd have a fan you could buy. I'm pretty sure even Bestbuy would probrobly have one.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:52 PM

This one will do: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835150013

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users