Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files Still Hidden

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 medusa569

medusa569

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 01:27 PM

During the making of a MSDOS bootable iso I see that certain Winxp system files are faded. I assume that means they are "hidden" despite the fact I have bulleted the "show hidden files option and show file extensions". How can I finally see them and copy them to disk or is there any programs out there that may be protecting these files and making them remain "hidden" despite my windows settings?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 01:35 PM

See attachment

Posted Image
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#3 CmmTch

CmmTch

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:17 PM

During the making of a MSDOS bootable iso I see that certain Winxp system files are faded. I assume that means they are "hidden" despite the fact I have bulleted the "show hidden files option and show file extensions". How can I finally see them and copy them to disk or is there any programs out there that may be protecting these files and making them remain "hidden" despite my windows settings?

That's how hidden files look when they're "unhidden" (faded) it doesn't mean they're still hidden.
Steve

#4 smallmiracle

smallmiracle

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:58 AM

I am having the same problem. I follow instruction exactully as posted and i still can't enable the check box for hidden files. I bought this computer from second handstore. apparenly the last owner download about 10GB of movies and software and hid it into the font file. I notice this when the fix Vundo picked it up. the file is like this. Windows\Fonts\_\(and all the files that are now dramatically slowing down my computer. I can't get to this file. I hope you can help.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,865 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:05 AM

To Smallmiracle: I suggest you post a separate thread in the Am I Infected section of this website. Please read the requirements/suggestions for posting before going there and providing minimal information.

Your situation does not fit the original poster's and should be a new thread, IMO.

Louis

#6 medusa569

medusa569
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:04 PM

Thank you to the responder pointing out the "normal" look for certain files. cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users