Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Anti Spyware Not Needed At All!?!?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DarkNight

DarkNight

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:17 AM

LOL
This is a question I have been dying to ask!
Is anti spyware not needed at all and just cause problem like internet cannot connect sometimes?
(out of the repairman mouth,lol)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:01 AM

I am sure the repairman could not give a reasonable explanation why Anti-Spyware applications could cause your computer not to connect to the internet. AS applications, if they have real-time protection, will monitor traffic---just as any Anti-Virus would, and I would imagine your friendly repairman did not go so far as to say AVs would cause the problem, and even opinine that AVs were not needed at all.

Given the many forms of Malware, some just annoying but many very dangerous, it makes common sense to employ applications designed to find and eliminate these from your computer. And to the best of my knowledge, no reputable AS application has been found to prevent your computer's connexion to the internet.

Look elsewhere for your connexion problems, and certainly look elsewhere than that repairman for sound advice.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 DarkNight

DarkNight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:22 AM

No,my connection is fine =)

It's just a question I wanted to ask since last two month when my computer is reformat and gave me the sound advice,lol

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:55 AM

In simple form, the answer is yes. You need some sort of protection against spyware. If you don't have protection, your PC can become crowded with ads and pop-ups aswell as key loggers and many other forms of bad malware than can wreck your system.

Regards,
David.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:07 AM

No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a multi-layered defense using several anti-spyware products (including an effective firewall) to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and safe surfing habits provides the most complete protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:15 PM

antispyware stuff is a bit like antivirus stuff; if the tools for diagnosis aint installed how do you know if your computer has 'caught a cold'

I do know some folks who run completley unprotected; they rely on a reformat and complete reinstall every four weeks or so to keep them 'in order' ( NOT a practice I would recommend to anyone )

MY advise is to have one installed antivirus program and a healthy selection of other 'nasties catching ' programs
however, it COULD be that you grab a firewall that needs a tweek to enable you to connect to the internet?

also; I hope it goes without saying that common sense and good surfing practices go towards protecting your computer from infections

(sometimes when one reads what folks DO do with their computers one wonders if common sense is out there) Posted Image

#7 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:21 AM

Well, protection is needed for each genre if that is how you want to put it. Example: Have one anti-viral program to protect against viruses, one anti-spyware program to protect from spyware (although it is recommended that you have more than one) and a firewall to prevent anything bad from comign in or goign out of your computer.

#8 dotservant.com

dotservant.com

• Banned
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 12:30 AM

Agree to some points, it is always a good precaution to have some protection against your valuable data though there is no single perfect solution that can address all. Computers today is usually connected to a network or link to the internet for sharing of data, and this interconnectivity has open up lots of opportunities for all sorts of attack that we could have imagine, even with all these virus scanners, firewall, spyware blocker etc, it is still a very good prevention step to perform frequent backups of your data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users