Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Get Rid Of Trojan Emails?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Raydanator

Raydanator

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:57 AM

So a couple of months ago, I downloaded a file that happened to have a trojan in it, and my Avast caught it. I was pretty sure it didn't infect my computer, and my HT log came back clean, but after that, when I'm typing something, I'll get three more characters than I want. Like for example if I am typing: "Help", sometimes I'll get "Helpppp". It doesn't happen often, so I haven't worried about it, but does anyone else have this happen? I'm thinking it might be a Windows glitch of some kind.

I have one other question which is this: How do I stop getting trojan emails? My parents use Outlook Express, and are often receiving emails from obvious spammers with titles such as: Your ecard greeting is available, You have an ecard, You won't believe this greeting, You have an online greeting, You have one ecard waiting, We have a ecard suprise (which I bet they do, :thumbsup:, This is hilarious, Now this is funny, and many others. I googled around, and some of them definitely are viruses. I don't think my parents have opened any of them, but its getting annoying, and I'm wondering if there's any way to block the addresses, or the IP address, or something. Most likely they're some cracker group in Asia that switch their address 100+ times a day, but is there anyway to get rid of them? Thanks for the help.

-Raydanator

PS.- Side note: One other really weird thing happened, and this is kind of confusing- I received in MY inbox 10 or so emails all saying: "Failure notice" or something like that, and each was not sent from me, but yet it appeared in my inbox. It was sent from a postmaster that I didn't recognize, and contained two files: a folder containing a message I'd received the day before, and some .dat file or something like that- sorry I deleted it, but I think the file was harmless. These messages didn't appear in my sent box, but do messages appear as "Sent" when a zombie computer is sending them, meaning would you fine them in the "Sent" section of outlook express? I know I didn't try to send that message on to anyone. Why would I get failure notices for emails I haven't sent from a postmaster that isn't mine? Are the events related, or just a fluke thing? Anyways, hope that makes some kind of sense. thanks again!

Edited by Raydanator, 12 March 2008 - 10:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:08 AM

Hi.

I've never heard of this keyboard thing. I don't really see a reason for malware to do that (unless the creater finds it funny). I would first try a different keyboard before looking to find malware.

Regarding the spam: there are programs out there that block spam on Outlook. However, they are known to slow down your computer. How much they do obvioiusly depend on your RAM and how effective it is.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 01:17 PM

E-mail spam Overview
How spam works
You’ve Got Spam: How to "Can" Unwanted Email
Tips on avoiding junk e-mail (spam)
Spambot Beware: Detection & Avoidance

A spambot is a type of web crawler designed to scan the Internet and extract e-mail addresses and hyperlinks from various sources (newsgroups, bulletin boards, web pages, chat rooms, etc) in order to build mass mailing lists for sending unsolicited e-mail (spam). The spambot stores the email addresses to use as targets for spam, and then follows each hyperlink to a new page, where it starts the process all over again.

Spam Bots and Email relays typically come packaged with rootkits, and many times there is no way you would ever know. If your anti-virus scans are not detecting anything, then a rootkit check should be performed with AVG Anti-Rootkit, Sophos Anti-rootkit or Panda AntiRootkit.zip.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:03 AM

A lot of SPAM will disguise itself as a "mailer-deamon" since messages from it are never blocked by E-mail servers (they serve a legitimate function). Unless you can determine (from your sent-Emails, for example) that the messages being returned are actually something sent by you, simply delete them and, obviously, do not open any attachments (curiosity killed the hard drive).
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Raydanator

Raydanator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:07 PM

Thanks for the help. Spam is confusing, and I guess the only real way to get rid of it entirely is to change your email address, but I've changed my security settings, so maybe that will help. And yes...curiosity most certainly does claim hdds, haha. Speaking of claiming hard drives, did anyone find the Olympic torch virus pandemic kind of funny? http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/invitation.asp ? ps- thanks quietman 7 for all the links!

Edited by Raydanator, 13 March 2008 - 12:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users