Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Daylight Savings Issues

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kevin h

kevin h

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:25 AM

I am running Windows xp Professional 2002 SP2. I am running in a networked enviornment. This weekend, daylight saving time happened - early! My clock will not stay adjusted to the time change. I have:

1. Changed the time on the system through windows. It changes back after an hour or so.
2. Changed the time on the bios. Changes back.
3. Run Windows Update. All updates available have been run.
4. Tried to run several fixes from the Microsoft Support site. Each time a get a message that a fix has all ready been run and it cannot run the new fix.

Any help would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:33 AM

Have you tried a new cmos battery ?

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:01 AM

Welcome to BC!

Go to the date/time properties.
Set the clock
go to the far right tab. I forget what it says right off.
Uncheck the box that says automatically synchronize with an Internet time server
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:15 AM

Checked your region reflected?

Louis

#5 kevin h

kevin h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:27 AM

Some further info:

It is not my CMOS battery. There is something in windows that is not set correctly.

My time zone is set for (GMT-5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada) At the present time I do NOT have the box checked for automatically adjust for Daylight Saving changes. I had this checked until yesterday when I began working this problem.

Again - I can change the time manually, but I am running in a networked enviorment that updates the GMT. All other workstations on the network are working fine.

The problem stems from the US changing the date for DST to begin. Microsoft has been aware of this and has put out fixes, that seem to have worked just fine for everyone but me. I believe that one of the Microsoft updates did not install properly, but running any updates at this point gives me the error message that a prior update has been run.

At this point, I think I need to change some settings - regisistry or otherwise - in order to fix this. Or wait unitl April when DST used to start and the problem should fix itself!

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:35 AM

I give up on this whole :thumbsup: damn :flowers: mess, a while back ms synch wasn't working then nist? didn't work

been adjusting manually, just set the clock ahead a couple of days ago

went back into time properties and hit synch now with MS, they set it back an hour!

then I forgot I had turned off auto adjust for daylightsavings time!

it's right again now

:trumpet:

Edited by DaChew, 12 March 2008 - 10:35 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 kevin h

kevin h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:27 PM

Solved!

About a month ago, my hard drive had some issues. During the repair, we repaired the installation of XP using the install disk. This overwrites some files (including the DST fix) but does not overwrite the update log. So update (and the Microsoft fixes) think the update is in place when it is not.

Fixed it using a third party freeware program found here: http://www.intelliadmin.com/Downloads.htm

It installs the fix independant of Microsoft Update.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:35 PM

Thank you for a very clear explanation and sharing the link to your solution. It is very much appreciated so that others may benefit. Congratulations on resolving your issue.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:15 PM

Could this be a battle between the Time Zone/DST settings on the Server vs the Time Zone/DST settings on your system? If so, you may want to try this: http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/8...c52f/tzedit.exe

From this thread: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...3&SiteID=17
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users