Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windowsmedia Mp3 Files's Weight

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 merellogalasso

merellogalasso

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:23 AM

Please be, somebody, so kind to explain me how, if one mp3 file weights 5Mb, is it possible that a CD may weight 57 Mb. And why it appears the number 128 Kb inmediately after the above cipher. With what type of files do, some people, fill one Cd with almost 4 hrs. of music? Sorry if my ignorance is eventually too much, but these forums are for this type of people, at least when questioning... Many thanks. :thumbsup:
"There are atoms and vacuum; the rest is opinion"
(Democritus, several centuries before Hume and Kant)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:47 AM

If I understand your question correctly, then yes, it is quite possible for a full CD of music to be reduced to under 60MB in size.

The 128Kb figure you refer to is probably the bit rate of the MP3 file, 128K bits per second. This is how much data from the file is played each second, and will govern the quality of the sound, and the size of the file, lower bit rates giving lower sound quality but smaller files.

Files can be recorded at different bit rates, eg 64K, 128K, 192K. 128K is a common figure to give both reasonable sound quality and fairly small files.

I have my MP3 CDs recorded at 192K bitrate, which gives quite decent sound and fits well over 5 hours on a CD.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 10:18 AM

I have cd's as mp3 format, and you can get more on a disc. My favorite cd has almost 200 songs on it as mp3. If you want to listen to the disc on your home, car, or portable player systems, make sure the system supports playback of mp3's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users