Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ultra-slow Bootup + Net Connection Problem.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 randomystique

randomystique

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:48 AM

recently my computer is suffering from serious lag-ness after i fiddled around with msconfig. although i've reset it to load all device drivers again already.. the problem still stays.

1. it stays at the first boot-up screen for quite a few seconds.
2. it takes around 6seconds again before it goes to the windows loading screen.
3. it takes around 2mins for it to finish loading all my startup items, where i've already removed all non-essential startups ( before that, with the same startup items, it took less den 15s to load everything and back to idle )
4. there's a rundll error, where they cannot find one of the following dll files. it ends with "ntfy.dll" i tried to search for it on the net, but to no avail. that's why i feel puzzled about it.
5. i took a glimpse at the processes, there doesn't seem to be any suspicious service running.
6. now i can't even connect to the internet, my connection cannot be found in network connections. when i tried to run ipconfig, it couldn't query my hostname. i'm now using the office com. ( hence i can't post the HijackThis log here )
7. i did a full system scan with nod32 & spysweeper, wiped out everything but problem remains.

what could be the problem?

here are the specifications of the computer : ( relatively new com )

intel e2160 + gigabyte ds3L
kingston 2gb ddr667
xfx 7600gt ddr3
WD 160gb sata + hitachi 160gb pata
enhance 460w
tdk 48x cdwriter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:56 AM

You mind telling us what you did (exactly) in MSCONFIG?

Have you tried running chkdsk /r?

Try looking for clues in Event Viewer?

Appears to me that you may be infected, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=n...G=Google+Search

If it were me, I would post in the Am I Infected portion of this website.

Louis

#3 randomystique

randomystique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:02 AM

You mind telling us what you did (exactly) in MSCONFIG?

Have you tried running chkdsk /r?

Try looking for clues in Event Viewer?

Appears to me that you may be infected, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=n...G=Google+Search

If it were me, I would post in the Am I Infected portion of this website.

Louis

hmm, i just disabled some useless services, which i think was totally safe.

yup, ran chkdsk already. nothing found.

haha, the first link was posted by me (swi forums). the dll file isn't ntfy.dll, but some other file which i forgot the exact name. will check it out when i'm back home. in the meantime, what other stuff can i try? i've already scanned the whole system but no infections found?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users