Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Documents Recovery

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 amitinoz

amitinoz

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:18 AM

Hi,

I am running a windows XP Professional on my PC. my 160GB harddrive is partitioned in 6 drives. Windows is on C Drive. There are three users on the system.

I had changed the physical location of MY DOCUMENTS folder for my user ID from C drive to H drive. Due to a system crash (first in 2 years) i had to reinstall windows on C drive.

Now the problem is that the DOCS folder sitting on H Drive cannot be accessed. I tried to remap all the user ID's as they were... I have tried relocating the My documents folder to H drive...nothing works... The folder is sitting there but is inaccessible...

Is there any way i can recover data from that folder?

please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:43 AM

Inaccessible...have you tried taking ownership of that folder?

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

I recently did the same thing (moved My Docs) but I had no problem accessing my files. I just reversed the procedure, following the restore procedure spelled out in My Documents Folder in WinXP - http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_mydocs.htm

Louis

#3 amitinoz

amitinoz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:01 AM

LOUIS!! Mate...

You are a godsent... :flowers:

CHEERS!! that took care of it...and i was already ruing :inlove: not having invested in backup softwares and all that...not that I wont do it now..

thanks again!! :trumpet: :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:23 AM

Easily done, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users