Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! System Recovery Options Doesn't See My Vista

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 iameby

iameby

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:28 AM

Hi!

Recently I reformatted my HD to contain three partitions, one for Vista, one for Ubuntu, and the remaining one for the HP_RECOVERY partition. Of course I didn't alter in any way the last partition as I do not have any copy of the Vista installation DVD - I am solely dependent on the HP_RECOVERY partition to restore and repair my Windows should anything go wrong. I installed Ubuntu un the second partition, and everything was working great.. until I tried to boot my Vista. Apparently, my HP dv6000t missing the winload.exe file, and it can't boot. I tried booting from the HP_RECOVERY partition, and the only thing I get is a never ending black screen with a blinking cursor (I tried to wait this out, but after I had fallen asleep and woke up, it was still the same screen, and I was asleep for about 15hours, so no luck there). I searched some solutions over the 'net, and I found neosmart's Vista Recovery Disc, which I downloaded and burned. I booted using that DVD, and I got the appropriate screens.. until I hit the repair my Windows/computer button. System Recovery Options can't see my Vista, and no other operating system was listed, not even my Ubuntu. Ubuntu works great, and I could still boot into Vista after I partitioned the HD into three parts (before I installed Ubuntu). How can I restore my Vista? Or, if restoring Vista is impossible, how can I reformat my entire drive again? Will I be able to recover the HP_RECOVERY partition? Any help would be great. Thanks :huh:

-Eby

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:52 AM

there might be a way to fix this but just to be safe I would call HP and order the recovery disks, they have to give you that option if your hard drive dies

boot loaders/dual boots are dangerous
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 iameby

iameby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:07 AM

myeah.. can I do this, even if a) the laptop was bought in Saudi Arabia, :huh: I don't live in Saudi Arabia, c) I don't have the reciept because this was a gift, and d) I don't have a credit card.. ? Thanks for the speedy reply..

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:46 AM

you should have a serial number/model number and paperwork and certificate of authenicity

otherwise the laptop could be stolen/hot contraband goods

and hp and others will not want to help you

Edited by DaChew, 12 March 2008 - 08:47 AM.

Chewy

#5 iameby

iameby
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:08 AM

...Okay. And that's the only solution to my problem? It seems as though I'd have an easier way out of this mess if I'd just buy myself another Vista.. or can I use a Vista Installation DVD to boot/install a new copy of Vista, but use my laptop's product key instead? Thanks.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:17 AM

you would need an oem version of vista that matched your installed version

and a lot of hard to load drivers

laptops are a real mess, deciding which drivers to load is usually the hardest part
Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users