Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help in removing Tibick P2P worm

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 beachfandan

beachfandan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 04:54 PM

I have an infected PC running Win 2000 and Zone Alarm firewall and antivirus. I opened a small executable program named ListMakerCrack.exe and firewall indicated an attempt to access web. I searched the name of the program listed by firewall, svcnet.exe and found it to be Tibick worm. It apparently replicated and filled 2GB left on hard drive. When I killed this with Task Manager the replicating itself stopped. I have run a full system scan which didn't detect it. I have run online Housecall from Trend Micro and attempted Panda software's online scanner but it immediately indicated scan complete, nothing found. I have read that the virus is able to disable some virus scan programs.
I have the machine on a home Ethernet and other computers are not affected. I have not rrun adware programs as I feel pretty confident this is correct virus ID based on name of application and behavior stopped when I disabled it. I was already offloading files in preparation of reformatting and installing Win XP, but still have some things I'd like to get off, though none are irreplaceable.
Any ideas for removal? If I go ahead and reformat, can I be assured that virus is removed? Any ideas???

Thanks,
Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 18 March 2005 - 12:51 AM

Create a directory on your hardrive to save HijackThis.exe. A directory like c:\hijackthis. If you do not do this, you will not be able to use the backup/restore features.

Download HijackThis from:

HijackThis Download Site

Save this file into the directory you made previously and then run the program named hijackthis.exe. When the program opens click on the Config button, then click on the Misc Tools button, and click on the Check for update online button. When it completes checking/applying updates press the back button.

Now click on the Scan button and when it is finished click on the Save Log button. A Notepad window will open with the contents of this log. Click on Edit then click on Select all. Then click on Edit and then Click on Copy.

Create a reply to this post here and right click in message area and select paste to paste the log into the post.

Someone will reply to you after reading this post. DO NOT fix any entries unless you understand what you are doing.

To see a tutorial with screenshots on using HijackThis you can click on the link below:

How to use HijackThis to remove Browser Hijackers, Malware, & Spyware

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users