Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Startup And Load Time Forever

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 03impala9c1

03impala9c1

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:34 AM

i have windows xp home 2002 sp2 on my emachines desktop computer...

when i first got the computer of course it loaded lightning fast

well for about the past 6 months now, the inital startup is still fast but once the desktop appears, it takes absolutely FOREVER to actually be able to use the computer... i would say close to 5 minutes...
what it will do is give me my desktop and be set to go it seems and the computers not thinking or anything... but icant do anything really yet... then after a few minutes of sitting, it will finally finish booting up everything it needs ie. taskbar msn etc.
then ill be able to run the computer fine no speed problems after that

also i dont know if its related or not but i had major adware issues before and downloaded ad-aware to fix these issues and it seems every time i run it i find more tracking cookies that lead me to ie popups when i dont even use ie. i use firefox

HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED AND THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:44 AM

Hi 03impala9c1 and :thumbsup: to BC!

Do you have any security programs on your PC? Maybe your PC is infected with malware and this is causing it to slow down? Also, how many programs load up at start-up?

Regards,
David

Edited by david28, 12 March 2008 - 03:48 AM.

#3 03impala9c1

03impala9c1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:54 AM

i have norton security 2007 on the computer and recently found 2 malware programs that have been taken care of but did not help out the speed of startup... i know i have a few too many programs in my taskbar that load up as well and do have spybot s&d but do not know how to get to the section to turn certian programs off during startup

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:06 AM

Well, you should uninstall programs that you don't use from the Add/Remove Programs tool which can be found in the Control Panel. This should help free up hard drive space. Also, when was the last time that you ran scandisk and disk defragmenter?

Also, just one more thing, how much free hard drive space do you have?

Regards,
David.

Edited by david28, 12 March 2008 - 04:07 AM.

#5 03impala9c1

03impala9c1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:17 AM

i have 55g of my 80g free yet and i reguraly run defrag and disk cleanup and have pretty much removed all i could remove in the add/delete programs menu.

also.... just an outta the blue question.. does spybot s&d do the same thing as ad-aware? or does each one find other objects?

#6 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:48 AM

Spybot S&D can find spyware, so can Ad-aware. However, Ad-aware can do a better job at finding spyware. I'm not saying that Spybot S&D can't find spyware, Ad-aware can just find and remove spyware more efficiently. Also, Spybot S&D offers a resident shield which monitors registry changes, but it is known to taek up system resources and has caused a few problems with some users, but it is pretty good in general. The free version of Ad-aware can only scan for spyware but does not offer a real-time resident shield against spyware. For good spyware protection, I recommend Spyware Terminator as it doesn't take up valuable system resources, scans quickly and efficiently, it is free and comes with real-time protection.

Could you please open up the Task Manager and click on the processes tab. Then click on View then click on Select Columns. Select I/O Reads then click ok. Now maximize the task manager so that you can see the I/O Reads column and take a screenshot and post it here.

Regards,
David.

Edited by david28, 12 March 2008 - 04:51 AM.

#7 03impala9c1

03impala9c1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:57 AM

one thing too i was getting to turning off some of the programs on start up through s&d and came across some that i could not find in the registry and was wondering if some of these could be to blame.

crypt32chain crypt32.dll
cryptnet cryptnet.dll
cscdll cscdll.dll
ScCertProp wlnotify.dll
Schedule wlnotify.dll
sclgntfy sclgntfy.dll
termsrv wlnotify.dll
wlballoon wlnotiry.dll

#8 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:00 AM

These are important files that should not be disabled or deleted. Would it be ok if you posted that screenshot? :flowers:

You are running Norton Internet Security 2007 and there may be a problem that another user had experienced which I think you may be experiencing aswell. To try and fix it, I need you to post that screenshot as I mentioned above :thumbsup:

Regards,
David.

Edited by david28, 12 March 2008 - 05:06 AM.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:29 AM

You can use a tool like Autoruns, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx , to disable/remove various startup items that are taking load time. Please read all instructions before using. The items on the Logon tab are the items that I would look at, rather than the list of everything that launches.

This tool can assist you in determining what startups are valid: CastleCops® - StartupList - http://www.castlecops.com/StartupList.html

In general, all defense programs against malware...and various Microsoft items...are the only startup items that a system needs. All other programs can be accessed from the Start/All Programs list (as you need them).

I also meant to include a note that your firewall probably won't allow any processing of data until it is completely set up and it's probably the last item to load/function properly. This system takes about 3 minutes before everything loads and the coast is clear :thumbsup:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 12 March 2008 - 08:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users