Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are You Happy With Avg? I Am Not. Pls Advice.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 goldwave84

goldwave84

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:55 AM

Greetings all
My name is Ash and I am from Malaysia. I am a Windows XP user and have had my fair share of viruses and malware. I finally decided to purchase AVG thinking it would solve all my problems but sadly, it was not the case. I recently got hit with the PIC006.JPG-msn.messenger virus and it gave me a real headache. Using the MSNcleaner.exe program I managed to remove the threat. My question is why didn't AVG do this for me? How come it did not detect it beforehand?

Has anyone been burned by AVG before? How do I know my AVG is in perfect working condition? (The icon on the tray is in full color)

Do help as I payed a lot of money for the anti virus and now am feeling like I got cheated. Help.

Ash

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 01:22 AM

Hi and :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer goldwave84! I recommend you post and introduction in the Introductions section.

First off, no Anti-virus protection is foolproof, even if you paid for it. Many people think that if you pay for your internet security, they are 100% protected. They are wrong. No protection is foolproof and will make your system 100% invulnerable to malware. Also, many people think that if they purchase a security program like Norton for $70 onwards, they are fully protected. This is wrong aswell, Norton is one of the biggest resource hogs and has many issues. It still does it's job but why pay $70+ when the right combination of freeware internet security applications can do an even better job and not use up valuable system resources. So, don't always think that even if you pay for your internet security that it is goign to protect your system 100%.

Regards,
David.

#3 goldwave84

goldwave84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:10 AM

I guess you are right. If I may ask, what's a good combination of free software to help be very well protected? I read once before that setting up more than one would cause an overlap of commands, hence causing more harm then good.

Ash

#4 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:26 AM

Sure I can provide you with a great freeware combination of internet security. Just keep in mind that these may not work aswell with your system as they do with mine, but they should be working fine. (Different systems can vary).

Anti Virus: AVG Anti Virus Free Edition
Anti-Spyware: Spyware Terminator, SpywareBlaster and Ad-Aware 2007
Anti-Rootkit: AVG Anti-Rootkit Free
Firewall: COMODO Firewall PRO

I read once before that setting up more than one would cause an overlap of commands, hence causing more harm then good.

This is right, but not completely. Having more than one resident/real-time shield of a certain program can cause conflict. E.g. If you have two anti-virus resident shields running they can cause conflict and not work properly. However, if you have one anti-virus resident shield and one anti-spyware resident shield running, they shouldn't be conflicting with each other. It is only when there are two resident shield of the same type running when it cause conflict.

Regards,
David.

Edited by david28, 12 March 2008 - 02:27 AM.

#5 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:16 AM

Hey goldwave84,

first of all, could you please advise your full programme name? There are several versions available all having a different level of protection. Thus you will need to differ.

There are:
  • AVG Antivirus
  • AVG Antispyware
  • AVG Internet Security
Just to name AVG Tools. Have a look at this link: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/The MSN worm attacks you via Instant Messaging and is a new kind of thread in today's world. There is additional software out there that tracks these kinda things, but most important is the practice of "safe hex." Additional tips can be found here: [1] & [2].

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#6 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:43 AM

Hi goldwave84, :thumbsup:

To answer your first question: personally I'm very satisfied with AVG antivirus.

what's a good combination of free software to help be very well protected?

From the folowing BleepingComputer site:
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps I use:

Mozilla Firefox as my browser
Thunderbird for my e-mails
AVG Free
Comodo Firewall
Spywareblaster
ERUNT
Keyscrambler
MacAfee Siteadvisor

Surf Safe and enjoy!!

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:49 AM

as one person on another computer forum so rightly pointed out, the only sure proof way to remain uninfected is to never turn on your computer ; all kinds of critters can come via USB's, CD's, etc so even staying off line but still using the comp can get you infected

and, as others have so rightly commented, merely paying for an antivirus program really makes it no better than the next contender;
safe surfing, and good computer practices including adequate and up to date protection all help as will extreme vigliance at all times;

if you HAVE or have had an infection , have you managed to transfer that infection to another computer via your MSN or email yet?

and have you checked with those with whom you MSN etc to see if they too are infected?

#8 goldwave84

goldwave84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:58 PM

Hi guys

I am using AVG 7.5 full version. In the process of testing out some other software. Hope all goes well. :thumbsup:

#9 goldwave84

goldwave84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:58 PM

My quest to fix up my comp AFTER paying for the AVG product is when it became aware that i was hit with the elusive Pic006.jpg-live.messenger.com virus/spyware. So far I have used

1. AVG 7.5 (paid version)
2. MSN photo virus remover
3. Spyware blaster 4.0
4. Spyware Terminator
5. AVG anti rootkit.

NONE have been able to search and destroy this virus. What should I do? I am really in a fix and am worried that God forbid, I would have to reformat. I will not put myself through again.

Ash

#10 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:07 PM

Hi goldwave84, :thumbsup:

Follow all the steps in this topic: Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log .

Please be patient since the forums are very busy. :flowers:

#11 goldwave84

goldwave84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:57 PM

OK, will do. Will follow every instruction to the letter. Should I disable any of my anti virus/ protection programs?

#12 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:26 AM

OK, will do. Will follow every instruction to the letter. Should I disable any of my anti virus/ protection programs?

I presume you have only one INSTALLED antivirus program? I strongly suggest you need to keep this enabled as you will be running unprotected without it

as stated, run the preparation guide and see how you progress with it ; do ask if you have any problems running any element of it :thumbsup:

#13 goldwave84

goldwave84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:09 PM

Small update- Just scanned with Trend Mirco Housecall 6.5 and found these

1) Worm_DELF.AYF
2) CRYP_TAP-2

Then I tried to automatically remove it, and it didnt work. Then tried a manual clean up, but it still seems to be there.

#14 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:18 PM

goldwave84,

it seems you are not reading the replies here. It has already been stated what needs to be done. While your intention is good, it is more important to note this along with a HijackThis log, in the forum part already outlined in the above posts.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

#15 goldwave84

goldwave84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:21 PM

I am sorry if my post was not clear enough. I have been doing every step without fail. I was merely just giving an update as I was not sure if that command was correct, or an error. I am now in the process of scanning using Panda ActiveScan. From there, I will move to Bitdefender and so on. Thx.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users