Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need To Verify Something...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Qui

Qui

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:30 PM

Hi guys,

I need your expertise! My comp was acting funny, specifically it took 10 mins for it to load windows, when I checked the Reg I found this:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm not running Windows NT and I've never seen these in the Reg before...

Autoruns shows them as:
D:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe
Userinit Logon Application
(Verified) Microsoft Windows Publisher
d:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

AVAST! Showed nothing, Spybot S&D also turned up nothing and I did not notice them when I used HiJackThis. I've unchecked them from the Reg, and had no problems restarting (worked great!).
I just need verification....also...how do I delete it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:39 PM

Those entries look odd but do not delete userinit.exe it is a vital system file.
If you think there is something wrong copy the file and upload to Jotti or VirusTotal

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

#3 Qui

Qui
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:56 PM

Both showed them to be clean...

I guess what really throws me off is the fact that it's listed under "Windows NT" when I have XP and that unchecking it in the reg made everything better :thumbsup:

Thanks for the links, great sites!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users