Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error 404 Cannot Resolve Hostname

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 dan9119a

dan9119a

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:51 PM

I can connect to the internet via dial-up but when I try to browse any web site I get a message that states "error 404-cannot resolve hostname to IP address". I have been on the phone a number of times to my ISP support and they cannot help me. I have looked on Microsofts help site and it tells me to do the same thing as the support people are telling me. It does not fix the problem. I am running windows XP. I have tried reinstalling Windows and it still does not fix the problem. Can anyone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:33 PM

First off, What did Microsoft and your ISP support people tell you to do that didn't work and what else have you done? Once known, we'll have a decent starting point.

#3 dan9119a

dan9119a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:55 PM

I was instructed to click on the Start button, then run, then type in cmd and hit enter. At the prompt I typed in the following: ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter. I recieved the message successfully flushed the dns cache. I then restarted the computer. This did not fix the problem. Any other suggestions?

#4 dan9119a

dan9119a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:57 AM

I have not been able to make any progress on this problem. Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do so that I can browse?

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 12:31 PM

Have you tried disabling your Firewall, then try browsing?

Configure TCP/IP to use DNS. Go to Start/ Control Panel/ Network Connections.
Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties.
Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item. Write down the settings in case you should need to change them back.
Select the radio button that says Obtain DNS servers automatically.
Click Okay twice to get out of the properties screen and restart your computer.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 dan9119a

dan9119a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:40 PM

Ihave tried to open internet connections and click on properties but it does not respond. What would cause it not to respond? Also please let me know how to disable my windows firewall.

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:36 AM

Ihave tried to open internet connections and click on properties but it does not respond.

Can you explain the procedure you are doing to open Properties?

If you aren't running a third party Firewall, we'll skip this step.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 dan9119a

dan9119a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:06 PM

I am going to start, then control panel, then network connections, then right clicking on my dial-up connection, then clicking on properties. This is where it stops responding. It reacts the same way if I go to tools, then internet options, click on the connections tab, then settings, then properties. This is the step that it fails to respond to during this process. What causes this? Help.

#9 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:54 PM

Hi Dan,

I'm unsure what causing this.
Here is an idea if nothing else here has worked:

Go to the Control Panel then Network Connections.
Click once on your active Connection.
From the menu on the left, select Repair This Connection.
Try to connect to a site.

Is there any Proxy set or used?
Check to see if set to automatic:

In Internet Explorer,
Go to Tools/ Internet Options/ click on the Connections tab, then click on LAN Settings.
Select Automatically Detect Settings.
Click Okay twice.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#10 dan9119a

dan9119a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:48 AM

TMack,

OK, I have opened my network connections. It shows two seperate connections- my dial-up and my LAN. It is the dial up that I am working on since this is the only connection that is available in my remote area. When I click on it, it becomes highlighted but that is as far as i can get. I can not get any menus to appear-right click, or tools or any of the other tabs to work. This computer was infected with viruses, spyware, you name it. I got most of it cleaned up to the point that I can at least connect to the internet with my dial-up but I am stuck there. I can take this computer to a different location and try to hook it up with Wild Blue, a satalite provider. Assuming that I can surf using that, is there any download I can use to try to find the problem? Do you think it is a registry problem or something else. I am not real knowledgable on how a computer works, but have learned a little by dealing with this problem. What would you suggest?
I have searched for this problem and have found very little that I can understand as it relates to my computer. There is a help page from the Microsoft site but it seems to relate to Windows 2000. I am running XP. I don't know where to turn to.
Thanks for the time to try to help me.

#11 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:52 PM

If you are able to access the internet from a different location, the problem is definitely in the hands of your ISP.
Error code 404 is typically a "Web Master must Resolve" issue anyways.

This computer was infected with viruses, spyware, you name it. I got most of it cleaned up...

It sounds like there may still be malware on your OS, that could be the root of this problem.

If you can't connect from a different location, and before you go back to your ISP,
Try resetting the IP address:
Go to Start/ Run and type: cmd
Press Okay or Hit Enter. A dos Window will appear.
At the command prompt type or copy/paste: ipconfig /release
Hit Enter.
When the prompt comes back, type: ipconfig /renew
Hit Enter.
Close the command box and and see if that fixes the connection. No reboot needed.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#12 dan9119a

dan9119a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:45 PM

TMack,

I tried each command but got the following message after hitting enter: This operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation. What do you make of that?

#13 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:43 PM

It looks like this is a Winsock2 corruption issue.
In the many cases, these symptoms are caused by running certain spyware programs. These programs may destroy your internet connectivity by removing certain necessary Registry entries. Or the registry is corrupted after installing/removing a software incorrectly.

Carefully follow these instructions; How to Recover from Winsock2 corruption.

The above advice, involves a Registry Edit.
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
Remember to backup the registry, before making any changes.
Instructions on how to do that, can be found here: Backing Up the Registry.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#14 dan9119a

dan9119a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:29 PM

TMack,

I have tried this and still have the same problem. I am almost to the point of taking somewhere and having a professional tech try to fix it. My concern there is that the cost of the service might be more than it is worth.

I am wondering if I can reformat the hard drive and basically start anew. I purchased this computer from Dell about 7 years ago and I do have the CD entitled "Reinstallation CD". Might this solve my problem and if it might, how do I go about doing it?

#15 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:35 PM

I found one of the threads here since I had a similar problem, after malware was removed it left a broken connection to the internet

http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

I though this would be hard but the program found the bad lsp file and removed it and I was back online right away
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users