Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crashes During Gameplay (such Games As Cod 4 And Hl2)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 wjclements

wjclements

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:38 PM

Here's my specs first of all

P4 Prescott 3.2 Ghz
2 Gb (2 sticks of 1 Gb)
Sapphire Radeon X1600 Pro 512 Mb
250 Gig Hd + 30 Gig Hd split into 3 paritions (main one I use, the one with Windows XP Pro SP2 installed is about 130) Gigs)
DVD-R
ECS PM800-M2 motherboard
Startech PCI 5 Channel soundcard
480 Watt PSU

Not sure what else to put in here.

Anyways. I've been having so many problems out of the blue with these games crashing that I decided to reinstall windows. I've been reinstalling all sorts of things but I can say all drivers for all hardware are up to date, as is my BIOS.

My computer does NOT crash when I'm playing Counter-Strike Source or other source mods (like Zombie Panic). I can also play 2d games (Starcraft, Command & Conquer games) as well as Medieval 2 Total War.

I also recently installed a new wired mouse (Microsoft Comfort Mouse) as well as the 2 Gigs of RAM (previously I had a stick of 128 and 512 but those are replaced by the 2 - 1 gig sticks seeing as my mobo only has two slots).

I have no idea what's wrong. I'll be playing CoD or HL and all of the sudden my computer just reboots. Before I reinstalled windows, the game would sometimes freeze completely or simply reboot. Last time I tried the game loaded for about a minute and then my system crashed. Crashes happen sporadically. I once played about twenty or so missions before the game crashed.

My system runs fine otherwise.

At first I thought it was the game's fault because CoD kept crashing. Then I thought it was my graphics card. The game is patched and the gpu is up to date. I can't help but wonder if my memory is somehow to blame.

The paging file is 2048 megs or so. It is currently set as custom...2048 to 4 thousand something (I did not set this, it was set this way when I reinstalled windows). Like I said, I'm running XP Pro SP2.

I hope there is something here that clues you guys into what the heck is going wrong with my PC (it is custom built, also and has never given me problems before.)

Thanks in advance.

Oh, also. I've run anti-spyware and anti-virus software. No problems there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 01:16 PM

Try checking the Event Viewer for clues at the time it happens
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 wjclements

wjclements
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:11 PM

Well I've fixed the problem.

Steam support had a great trouble-shooting page with a list of different steps to help pinpoint the problem. One of two things were causing my computer to constantly crash, maybe both: my onboard sound might have been conflicting with my sound card (turned off the onboard one) or AVG was using up too many system resources or simply conflicting my programs so I close it down when I'm running games and such. Either way, it's all fixed.

Thanks everyone for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users