Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need Assistance With Saving From Floppy & Cd-rw To Hard Drive. Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Simple Simon

Simple Simon

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:59 PM

I've been writing a novel for about a year and I have around 96 pages written. It is not much but much of that time has been spent doing research. I have been saving it to a floppy disk. Some time after I began it stopped saving to my hard drive so I just continued saving to the floppy. I keep three copies as insurance. Yesterday I had a notice on my screen telling me the floppy is full; no more can be added. I had done more than 12 hours of writing and if I turn my computer off I will lose that. You see, when I go in to the computer and then to My Documents and then click on the novel, it always asks me to insert a floppy. It is as though it is not on my hard drive.

Last night I attempted to save it to a CD-RW and according to what that program told me, I was successful. But I am unable to bring up the story from that CD-RW.

Today I went and bought a SanDisk Cruzer Micro USB 2.0 Flash Drive. It is a; SDCZ6-2048RB. On the vague instructions that came with it, it appears I don't need to download any software to support it because I am using XP Pro. It goes on to say I don't need to turn my computer off in order to remove the appliance. But it doesn't tell me if I need to turn my computer off to plug it in. If I turn my computer off I lose 12 hours of intensive work. I want to save what is there. Maybe it is somewhere on my hard drive but it just won't appear for me.

1. I want the work to go onto my hard drive. Eventually I will be electronically sending it to my publisher from there.

2. I would like to know if I can insert the flash drive while my computer is running.

3. I have never used a flash drive. What happens when I put it in, and how can I save my work to it?

Additional information: I have two hard drives, C and D. last night I created a folder with the name of the book on the thus far unused D drive. I would like to save the novel to that unused hard drive. I seem not to be getting proper dialog boxes.

This is a very tangled knot to unravel. Is there anyone here with an understanding of this?
- Simon

All those who believe in telekinesis raise my right hand.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:28 PM

what program are you composing the novel in?

does it have a file/save as command?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Simple Simon

Simple Simon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:57 PM

Chewy; when I first began writing it I just hit Save. It should have gone into "My Documents." I then inserted a floppy and saved to that. That was when it stopped me from seeing it on my hard drive. When I go into My Documents now I see the name of the novel but when I click on it, it doesn't come up. Instead I get the message telling me to insert a floppy. Then the contents ofthe floppy will come up.
- Simon

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:43 PM

what program????

word wordpad something?
Chewy

#5 Simple Simon

Simple Simon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:52 PM

Excuse me Chewy, I didn't answer your question correctly. I am writing it in MS Word.

Edited by Simple Simon, 11 March 2008 - 06:55 PM.

- Simon

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:11 PM

open your novel

when word opens go to the top left under file and click save as

navigate where ever you want to from there using the address window or the up arrow folder next to it

make sure the name is right and then save it

I would save my current copy on the desktop and then copy from there to the usb drive

open it from your desktop and hit save often when working

never use a floppy
Chewy

#7 Simple Simon

Simple Simon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:05 PM

I did that, Chewy, and I still get the message; insert a floppy disk.

I had already tried to save it to my desktop and I hae a link to it there and when I click on it I get the same message. Insert a floppy disk. I have nothing to save to the flash drive. It appears all I have is what is on my screen but I know it has to be on my hard drive.

Can I attach the flash drive to to the computer while it is still on?

And thank you for your help.
- Simon

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:16 PM

What version of MS Word are you using? (97, 2000, XP/2002, 2003 or 2007?)

In general, if it asks for the A: drive, then you've got to cancel out of that and then direct it to a new place to save it. Select your hard drive (or the USB drive) and remember where you put it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:17 PM

Can I attach the flash drive to to the computer while it is still on?

of course you can, just be sure and use the safely remove feature at the bottom right next to the clock and speaker before pulling it back out

try copying from the floppy to your desktop

open floppy, right click drag and drop, copy here(not move)

then reopen the novel.doc from your desktop
Chewy

#10 Simple Simon

Simple Simon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:36 PM

I'll be darned!

John I have MS Word 2002 SR-1. I took a look in my add and remove programs and it told me there. But, it looks like Chewy has saved the day for me.

Chewy, I owe you. It looks like I have managed to save it to my desktop. I posted a few words at the end of my text then I did a save to, "Name of Novel.doc.lnk.doc - Microsoft word" then I shut it all down and then reopened it from the desktop and my new words were there. I did this three times with new words added and each time it worked. You have saved the novel! I can now go ahead and carry on writing, confident I won't lose hours, days, months of work. I have yet to plug the flash drive in. I guess I will get a menu when I do that so I can save to there too.

You can't begin to know the relief I am experiencing. Writing a novel is an intense experience and to do it properly you really have to live it so in a sense it becomes your life duing all those hours of writing and researching and just plain pacing the floor and thinking. I can't thank you enough. I really appreciate your input; your time and effort.

Thank you so much.
- Simon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users