Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Downgrade To Xp

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jaimebozz

jaimebozz

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:54 PM

Hi im wondering if it is possible to downgrade vista to an XP, I find there is to many problems in vista and its slow as hell, it was bought as a vista computer so im wondering if the hardware will operate with a XP program. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:58 PM

It depends completely on who made it. You will have to contact the manufacturer of your PC for that information.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:06 PM

XP will run fine on your hardware; however, you are going to have to do a clean install of XP. Also, make sure you don't take a Vista 32 bit operating system and downgrade it to an XP PRO 64 bit OS or you might run into trouble. Also, here is an interesting article on that subject and it claims that some Vista users may be elgible for a free downgrade to XP. See here: http://www.computerworld.com/action/articl...ticleId=9040318

Edited by ucanfixit, 11 March 2008 - 04:08 PM.

#4 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:10 PM

Hello Billy3,

My post was not intended to conflict with yours as I think we posted at the same time but let me add a clarifier to my original post and say that a "retail" version of XP would be required and any attempt to use an OEM XP disk might be challenged (or rejected) by the bios.

Edited by ucanfixit, 11 March 2008 - 04:11 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:03 PM

The biggest problem with downgrading to XP from Vista is locating drivers for the XP hardware. Most new PC's were made with Vista in mind - so the manufacturer's didn't spend a lot of time with XP drivers for them. You can usually find them on the web, but it's hit or miss and takes quite a lot of time to find the right ones.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:32 PM

Hello usasma,

That's an interesting statement, and, if accurate, could cause major complexities for those who downgrade. So, with that in mind, I went to Dell and did some testing using Dell systems that are only offered with the Vista OS and to my surprise, they all offered XP drivers as well... now, if you could point me to an example of any piece of hardware that only supports Vista drivers, it would be very much appreciated.

#7 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:42 PM

Hello usasma,

That's an interesting statement, and, if accurate, could cause major complexities for those who downgrade. So, with that in mind, I went to Dell and did some testing using Dell systems that are only offered with the Vista OS and to my surprise, they all offered XP drivers as well... now, if you could point me to an example of any piece of hardware that only supports Vista drivers, it would be very much appreciated.

That completely depends on the manufacturer. Dell is one of the few brands still offering XP on thier machines. They do NOT allow Vista to XP downgrades, however. If you want an XP Dell, you have to order it that way from the factory.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:56 PM

As you haven't specified the system that you want to downgrade, I've only been able to provide my experiences when I've done it with different systems.
I've done this downgrade at work and the biggest problem is the drivers. If you happen to have a system that has all of the XP drivers, then you're one of the lucky ones. Good luck to you.

Edited by usasma, 11 March 2008 - 08:58 PM.
removed excess, irrelevant comments

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:54 PM

usasma,

All I asked for was a link to "any" piece of hardware that supports Vista and doesn't support XP; however, if you don't have one handy, then that's OK.

And hello again Billy3,

I don't care what Dell allows, just visit the Dell forums to find out how many Dell owners have successfully downgraded from their OEM Vista to XP. This thread started as, not a matter of corporate policy, but as a matter of technical feasability. Specifically, can a Vista machine be downgraded to XP. I said yes with no problems, usasma said probably but you may encounter driver compatability issues, now what do you say? Please answer the question directly and from a purely technical standpoint if you can.

#10 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:39 PM

I cannot. It completely depends on who made the machine.

XP Drivers are NOT compatible with Vista Drivers most of the time. There has to be a separate version for each. Notable exeptions to this rule are IDE controllers, SATA Controllers, Processors, Printers, Scanners, USB Mass Storage Devices, Monitors, NICs, Keyboards and Mice.

It should be noted that any driver above that depends on a userland application will need a new driver, because Vista disallows driver interaction with the desktop for security reasons.

Furthermore, Vista x64 drivers are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT and must have their own driver. There are NO exceptions to this.

For everything else, an XP Driver MUST be provided by the maker of your machine for the chipset, onboard video, any type of sound card, video capture cards, etc.

Some newer toshiba chipsets do not work on XP. (Scratch that, reverse it)

Therefore, there is no technical explanation. It depends completely on who made the machine, what parts they used on the motherboard, and what options you have installed on the machine.

Also, many times, even if the drivers are available, you will usually be required to purchase Windows XP, unless a Vista downgrade is specifically allowed by your PC Maker.

What is your PC Make and Model? I can give you a definite answer if you give me that information.

Billy3
Posted Image

#11 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:13 PM

Hello Billy3,

There are so many inaccuracies in your response that I don't know where to begin so I will intertwine my responses into you response with mine in bold:

XP Drivers are NOT compatible with Vista Drivers most of the time (I never heard of an xp driver having to be compatible with a Vista driver?). There has to be a separate version for each (I strongly agree but for each what?? Each piece of hardware that requires a driver I presume?). Notable exeptions to this rule are IDE controllers, SATA Controllers, Processors, Printers, Scanners, USB Mass Storage Devices, Monitors, NICs, Keyboards and Mice (Notable exceptions to what? Are you saying that they all have generic drivers that work on both Vista and XP?).

It should be noted that any driver above that depends on a userland application will need a new driver, because Vista disallows driver interaction with the desktop for security reasons (So what does this have to do with the original question?).
Furthermore, Vista x64 drivers are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT and must have their own driver. There are NO exceptions to this (So what does this have to do with the original question?).For everything else, an XP Driver MUST be provided by the maker of your machine (That is another corporate statement and not a technical truth) for the chipset, onboard video, any type of sound card, video capture cards, etc (all of these drivers are available elsewhere; however, you may have to find them individually as usasma explained earlier).

Some newer toshiba chipsets do not work on XP (I don't believe that but give me a link to the technical details supporting your claim). (Scratch that, reverse it)

Therefore, there is no technical explanation (I disagree and am responding accordingly). It depends completely on who made the machine (I strongly disagree because it really depends on who made the individual parts for the composite machine and whether or not you can locate their website to download the real drivers instead of relying on system makers like Dell and HP who only rebrand the drivers but use the same ones that are available to the world when that component is sold as an individual retail item).

Also, many times, even if the drivers are available, you will usually be required to purchase Windows XP, unless a Vista downgrade is specifically allowed by your PC Maker (well, that I can agree on).
What is your PC Make and Model? I can give you a definite answer if you give me that information.
(hopefully, he will respond and give you a chance to substantiate your claims but I will be tagging along for the ride.)
Billy3

Edited by ucanfixit, 11 March 2008 - 11:15 PM.

#12 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:46 AM

Sorry, what I meant was: I can take an XP printer driver and use it on vista no problem (As well as anything on that notable exception list). The reason for that is that the specification on how those drivers communicate with the kernel has not been modified in Windows vista. I cannot, however, do that with a chipset driver, graphics card driver, or sound card, as these driver specs have changed completely.

Userland drivers have to do with the question, because many hardware items (printers, for example) require you to install an application to use the hardware, in addition to the windows driver. Because of Vista's stricter interaction with the kernel, most, if not all, of these applications have to be rewritten. If the user has any sort of hardware like this, it is important.

What the x64 has to do with the first question is, if the user here has the x64 version of vista, that makes xp drivers even harder to come by, because Vista's PatchGuard completely changes how ALL drivers, (even for the exceptions mentioned earlier) have to deal with the kernel.

(I strongly disagree because it really depends on who made the individual parts for the composite machine and whether or not you can locate their website to download the real drivers instead of relying on system makers like Dell and HP who only rebrand the drivers but use the same ones that are available to the world when that component is sold as an individual retail item)

Many manufacturers make all thier own parts. Toshiba is the most notable example I can think of. They make thier own chipsets, boards, soundcards, and almost everything else. Sony VAIOs have many non-standard parts as well, most of the time. HP/Compaq do this to a lesser degree, though they often use intel boards. Dell almost always does NOT make their own parts, so finding xp drivers for those may be easier.

Billy3
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users