Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Messages On Startup And Add/remove Programs Not Working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vundosucks

vundosucks

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:44 PM

Hi, my computer keeps coming up with error messages about certain files not being a valid windows image when i start it up. a few examples are Amsample.dll and Amoures.dll. These are all in my system 32 file. Also certain things on my computer aren't working such as add/remove programs in the control panel and disk defragmentor. I dont know if this is related but the only program i can open in office is word and that sometimes shuts down for no reason.

I have AVG anti virus and anti spyware and have run full system scans with both.

Any ideas? :thumbsup:

Edited by vundosucks, 11 March 2008 - 03:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:13 PM

First of all, could I ask which operating system you are using and under what service pack?

This looks like your system files have been altered in someway. Let's run the file checker:

Click Start>Run>type without the qoutes "sfc /scannow >hit OK.

A window should appear with the title "Windows File Protection". It will say "Please wait while Windows verifies that all protected Windows files are intact and in their original versions." Leave your computer alone while the check is happening.

If there are any problems that occur during the scanning process, please post back with the error message.

#3 vundosucks

vundosucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:51 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply! I ran that and it came up with an error message saying

‘Files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the dll cache

Insert your windows xp home edition now’

So i put in the cd and it said

'The CD you provided is the wrong CD'

But it is the right one, I am using windows xp and service pack 2. What do you think? :thumbsup:

#4 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:40 AM

Oh, this thing :thumbsup:.

Follow these steps:
  • Insert your XP cd.
  • Open your XP cd and find the folder called I386.
  • Copy the folder I386 onto the root of your operating drive. This will usually be the "c" drive. Now if you open the folder on your operating disc, the path should be c:\I386.
Now that the folder needed is on your computer, we can remove the CD. But before the second scan, we need to tell the computer to use the folder that we copied.
  • Click Start>Run>type into the box without qoutes "regedit" . The registry editor will popup.
  • Locate the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup"
  • On the panel to the right of the keys (registry folders), there will be several values. Find the value called "SourcePath"
  • Right click it and select Modify. A modification window will popup. It will probably say E:\, or whatever your cd drive was. Change the value to "C:\". Hit OK.
  • Restart your computer (you must do this).
Now run the sfc /scannow again.

Edited by PropagandaPanda, 12 March 2008 - 09:41 AM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,907 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:32 PM

Always back up your registry before making any changes. If you are not familiar with working in the registry, then you should NOT attempt to make any changes on your own. Improper changes to the registry could adversely affect your computer and render it inoperable.

ERUNT is an excellent free tool that allows you to to take a snapshot (backup) of your registry before making changes and restore it when needed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 vundosucks

vundosucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 03:51 PM

Ooops I already changed my registry before I read that, but I ran the scan again and my add/remove programs and defragmentor seem to be working fine now so it seems its worked ok! I re-installed windows which fixed that problem so the only thein now is the dll error messages which pop up on startup, but i think they are prob to do with something i havent uninstalled properly or something!

Thanks very much for your help!! :trumpet: :thumbsup: :flowers:

#7 vundosucks

vundosucks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:18 AM

Hmm when i said i re-installed windows i meant office!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users