Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wan Miniport (ipx) #2

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lilwingg

lilwingg

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:17 AM

This keeps coming up in my device manager in audio. It has a yellow exclamation point. I think it is effecting my sound. I have none as I did before. Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:59 AM

Could you please provide us with the make and model of your system. Also, if you have a separate sound and/or NIC card, the make and model of them?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 lilwingg

lilwingg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:03 AM

hp pavilion x1963. The sound card was the one that orginally came with the computer. It also has a code 31. I am not computer saavy.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:04 PM

For reference:http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Wan+Miniport+%28ipx%29&btnG=Google+Search

That file you mentioned...is a network file. Should have no impact at all on sound.

Louis

#5 lilwingg

lilwingg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:42 PM

when I clicked on properties it said it was not working becuase windows can't load required drivers for ths device code 31

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:08 PM

Hmmm...my point is that it has no business appearing in the audio section of Device Manager. It belongs in the network adapter category and probably should only reflect when you show hidden devices.

What is the exact error message you see, please? And exactly what are you doing when you see it?

Louis

#7 lilwingg

lilwingg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:35 PM

You are right I went back and looked the error is in the network section. I don't know what it is. But about sound I do not have it and I was thinking this was the problem.... told you i don't know much about computers.. When I go to control panel and click on audio and sound it says no sound device, what does this mean?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:58 PM

OK :blink:.

The message re sound indicates...that the sound drivers for that system have not been installed and need to be installed before you have a sound device which the system recognizes and works with.

And your system is a Pavilion XT963 :flowers:, all HP drivers for that system are here: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP%20Pavilion%20xt963%20Desktop%20PC/62765

Soooo...do you have a drivers CD...do you have a CD that was provided with the system when acquired?

Louis

#9 lilwingg

lilwingg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:03 PM

I got this computer from my daughter who was in college and she seems to have lost it. I did have sound so I must have done something to cause it not to be on there anymore. A system restore couldn't have caused this could it?

#10 lilwingg

lilwingg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:05 PM

I have a dell operating system cd and don't have any idea how I got it... this would not work right?

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:21 PM

On occasion some audio drivers will "self-identify" as network drivers. I've seen this most often with RealTek devices and assume that it's a glitch in the DEV_ name assignment.

I'd suggest first identifying and installing the unknown device to see if it turns out to be an audio device that's mis-identified as a network device.

To do this, right click on the device in Device Manager and select Properties, then select the Details tab. In the Details tab, select the Hardware ID from the dropdown menu. Post the 4 characters after the VEN_ and the 4 characters after the DEV_ - we'll use http://www.pcidatabase.com to see if it's a network device or an audio device and to find the correct drivers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Ash007

Ash007

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:28 AM

how will we remove the symantec miniport?? i have uninstalled norton. but not able to remove the symantec miniport which shows a yellow exclamation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users