Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:47 AM
I recently picked up two Maxtor 500 gig USB 2.0 external drives. One is used only for backup of my boot drive (via Norton Ghost), the other was going to be used for storage of large music and video files. Last night I tried using Norton Ghost's "copy drive" function to copy the files form my older, smaller storage external over to the new 500 gig. After running for a few minutes (mostly doing to pre-calculation stuff before the actual copying starts), the copy halted and it said there was an error.
At that point, the Maxtor drive no longer showed up in Windows Explorer. It still appeared in the "Safely Remove Hardware" tray, but no amount of turning it off and on or disconnecting/reconnecting got it to show up. I finally got it to appear in Explorer by going through Control Panel and reassigning a drive letter.
Now that I can see it in Explorer/My Computer, there are other problems. It appears that Norton Ghost started copying some of the file structure over, as the folders were there, but mostly empty. Most of them I deleted. However, one folder is filled with a bunch of other folders with names that are all made of non-standard characters (like what you see when you look at a Japanese website without Japanese fonts installed). When I try to delete that folder, I get a "filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect" error. When I try to rename any of the folders, I get a "cannot read from the source file or disk" error. There are also a bunch of files in that folder, each one about 3 gigs in size each, also with non-standard characters.
To top it all off, the drive is only showing up as a 250 gig drive in Explorer, and with almost all of that space taken up by those "junk" files.
I am running XP, all my other external drives are working fine, and I am totally free of malware, spyware, viruses, etc.