Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Usb Drive Borked

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zeppelined

zeppelined

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:47 AM

I recently picked up two Maxtor 500 gig USB 2.0 external drives. One is used only for backup of my boot drive (via Norton Ghost), the other was going to be used for storage of large music and video files. Last night I tried using Norton Ghost's "copy drive" function to copy the files form my older, smaller storage external over to the new 500 gig. After running for a few minutes (mostly doing to pre-calculation stuff before the actual copying starts), the copy halted and it said there was an error.

At that point, the Maxtor drive no longer showed up in Windows Explorer. It still appeared in the "Safely Remove Hardware" tray, but no amount of turning it off and on or disconnecting/reconnecting got it to show up. I finally got it to appear in Explorer by going through Control Panel and reassigning a drive letter.

Now that I can see it in Explorer/My Computer, there are other problems. It appears that Norton Ghost started copying some of the file structure over, as the folders were there, but mostly empty. Most of them I deleted. However, one folder is filled with a bunch of other folders with names that are all made of non-standard characters (like what you see when you look at a Japanese website without Japanese fonts installed). When I try to delete that folder, I get a "filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect" error. When I try to rename any of the folders, I get a "cannot read from the source file or disk" error. There are also a bunch of files in that folder, each one about 3 gigs in size each, also with non-standard characters.

To top it all off, the drive is only showing up as a 250 gig drive in Explorer, and with almost all of that space taken up by those "junk" files.

Any thoughts?

I am running XP, all my other external drives are working fine, and I am totally free of malware, spyware, viruses, etc.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:13 PM

No error message number...did you look the error up at the Ghost site or forum for such?

I don't use Ghost, so I have no experience to fall back on.

Did you follow the stated directives for using this copy drive function? I guess that I don't know why you used that, rather than just moving the files from one drive to another.

If this copy drive is similar to the duplicate partition feature in the software I use...then the result should have been the creation of a smaller partition in the 500GB drive.

I think I'd be at the Symantec website...

Louis

#3 zeppelined

zeppelined
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 10:53 AM

I was originally just dragging the files over, but in my experience, Windows XP doesn't like it if you try to drag over 200+ gigs at once, so I was doing it a little bit at a time. It got to be a pain, so I figured the Norton Ghost copy drive thing would be easier.

Anyway, I seem to have fixed the drive by deleting the primary partition and then recreating it. Guess I'll start dragging those files over... :-)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:01 PM

It'll be a bit slow because it's IDE/SATA to USB but I always just use cut-and-paste.

Have patience :thumbsup:, happy computing.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users