Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very First System Build- Striker 2 With Quadcore.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 HybridEyeGrillage

HybridEyeGrillage

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:45 PM

Ah, I've been wanting to get a new computer for quite some time now and with all the new Core2Duo and QuadCore CPUs revolutionizing the market today, I decided that it would be a good time as ever to start. But I don't want a pre-made computer... I want to know the parts inside and out, hence- I want to build my own.

Main points:
•I'm a graphic designer, so I need a computer that can keep up with my creative endeavours.
•I'm a gamer- I need the right parts to let me play the game that grab my interest.
•I need ample amounts of drive space. I make a lot of files, at some points more than 10GB a day. And I store a lot of things for later use.
•I'm not on that much of a budget limit, but I'd like to keep this $2,500 and lower.
•I don't want to risk frying my computer, so no overclocking for me despite its benefits. *^^*

Wishlist (Newegg'd)

1 NZXT Zero Black/Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case
1 ASUS Striker II Formula LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
1 EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB
1 COOLMAX CP-500T EPS12V 500W Power Supply
1 Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775
1 SUPER TALENT 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
2 HITACHI Deskstar 250GB SATA-300 Hard Drive
2 HITACHI Deskstar 500GB SATA-300 Hard Drive
2 ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DRW-2014L1T
1 ViewSonic Black 22" Widescreen LCD Monitor Height & Tilt Adjustments
1 ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
1 Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

This in total will cost about $2,065 (estimated cost).

Link to Newegg Public Wishlist: (Beware- has other items in it as well)
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishli...tNumber=7466052

What I would like to know is:

--If a PSU with a greater wattage would be neccessary? And if so, what wattage would be suitable?
(500w powering 4 HDDs, 2 Burners, a 8800GT, and the Mobo/CPU doesn't seem like it will cover all.)

--Would adding another 2GB of RAM possibly harm my usage?

--If there is any other item that I should need to ensure the safety and longevity of this build? (extra fans, etc...)

--Aside from just having 2 alike Vid cards, what else would I need to initiate SLI mode for gaming?

I also want to dual boot XP/Vista (32-bit)- but not on the same HDD. I've experimented with some computers like that and they've all crashed sooner or later if XP/Vista shared the same HDD. Placing one OS independently should be fine.

Whoo... sorry for the long post, but I tend to get caught up in these things. But I thank you for your help in advance, everyone. I don't want to be a pro, but I at least want to say that I can build my own computer (and prove everyone else wrong! *^^*). -end zealous pride.

Thank you!
-Hybrid

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:10 AM

--If a PSU with a greater wattage would be neccessary? And if so, what wattage would be suitable?
(500w powering 4 HDDs, 2 Burners, a 8800GT, and the Mobo/CPU doesn't seem like it will cover all.)

Yeah, you might need a bigger voltage. http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html Use that to calculate how much you will need.

--Would adding another 2GB of RAM possibly harm my usage?

Depends, If your using over 4GB of ram on a 32bit OS it will only read about 3.5

--If there is any other item that I should need to ensure the safety and longevity of this build? (extra fans, etc...)

Cooling is always good. Make sure everything is compatible, don't do anything stupid like overclocking by 50-200% without the nessesary cooling (My friend did a 200% overclock on his brand new build, JUST put it together. The processor LITERALLY exploded becuase he forgot the heatsink and fan in his excitement.)

--Aside from just having 2 alike Vid cards, what else would I need to initiate SLI mode for gaming?

I have never done SLI before, but I think all you need is the cards and a SLI bridge

I also want to dual boot XP/Vista (32-bit)- but not on the same HDD. I've experimented with some computers like that and they've all crashed sooner or later if XP/Vista shared the same HDD. Placing one OS independently should be fine.

Go for it, one OS works just fine. You made the right choise with XP :thumbsup:
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:48 PM

If you are going to get 4 gigs might as well get 8 and get a 64bit OS. The problem arises when you have software thats not compatible with a 64bit OS. Check out this article on Toms hardware it covers the reasoning for the 8 gigs of ram. If your going :thumbsup: to the wall more is usually better. Especially using Graphics programs they are HOGS with memory.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Mr_Snips

Mr_Snips

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:43 PM

wow, i cant see how you got it to cost that much. My build is similar to yours but much less. There is some tied up in the screen and extra hardrive.

#5 HybridEyeGrillage

HybridEyeGrillage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:33 PM

Thank you very much for that link, xXAlphaXx. It really helped me. I also checked in with ASUS' own PSU wattage calculator. I'm guessing that I'll be going for at least 900w to be on the safe side (Ranked up a 858w score for base parts). I'll be exhanging the COOLMAX CP-500T EPS12V 500W Power Supply for a ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ900 ATX12V / EPS12V 900W Patent Piperock Modular Power Supply.
The case itself has extra fans, and I included a heatsink for the CPU (in case one isn't sent with the CPU). I think that they would be enough.

As for your friend... that was really hasty. I hope most of his components didn't fry or were damaged beyond use. I don't want to overclock unless I'm 200% sure I won't damage my system.

64-bit Windows, I'm not sure if I want to sacrifice the regular compatability that 32-bit Windows has. I read that very same article this morning after surfing around a bit for comparisions. Sure, more RAM used is great, but the amount of software I use regularly do not have 64-bit drivers. I think I'll just jettison the extra RAM money for another use. 32-bit has the most concurrent drivers for my programs now.
One OS for 1 HDD and the other for another HDD should work for me. If Vista manages to live up to it's original intent, I don't want to be left behind.

Thank you both for your input. *^^* :thumbsup:

#6 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:09 PM

Seems like you have a pretty nice build, and an upgrade to the 900W PSU was deffinatley a good choice. My only suggestion would be to get at least 3GBs of RAM (4, as previously stated, would be a sort of waste because your OS wouldn't utilize all of it) especially if you're going to use memory intense programs with Vista. Vista, unlike its predecessor XP, hogs memory. With 2 gigs of RAM, vista will use about 35-50% of your RAM, leaving you with less free for programs. If you want Vista just because you want to say you have vista and to have it in hopes of a better future for it, than 2 gigs should be sufficient. If most of your games, programs, etc are with XP, 2 gigs is more than enough, being that XP only uses about 20% or less (not 100% certain on that, but i know its a lot less than vista) of your RAM. If you do decide on 3GBs, three 1GB sticks would be optimal.

Another optional item would be a 10k RPM harddrive (74GB). This would be good for gaming as all the data will come off the drive faster. I have a setup like this, and I notive a big improvement over games running from my 7.2k RPM HDD. I would recommend, if you do decide to get this, that you get a SCSI version rather than a SATA, being that SCSI is a bit faster than SATA. The only thing with SCSI is that you'd need a SCSI card to interface it with your PC, and SCSI is a bit more expensive. A benefit with SATA though, is it's compatabile with most motherboards (yours inculded) and its a lot cheaper.
Here's a good one that I'd suggest:
Wester Digital Raptop (74GB) - This one is SATA.

15k RPM is another option, but thats SCSI only.

Regards,
TheYoda

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#7 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:34 AM

[quote name='HybridEyeGrillage' date='Mar 11 2008, 08:33 PM' post='764998']
Thank you very much for that link, xXAlphaXx. It really helped me. I also checked in with ASUS' own PSU wattage calculator. I'm guessing that I'll be going for at least 900w to be on the safe side (Ranked up a 858w score for base parts). I'll be exhanging the COOLMAX CP-500T EPS12V 500W Power Supply for a ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ900 ATX12V / EPS12V 900W Patent Piperock Modular Power Supply.
The case itself has extra fans, and I included a heatsink for the CPU (in case one isn't sent with the CPU). I think that they would be enough.

Your very welcome =P Happy building =P

As for your friend... that was really hasty. I hope most of his components didn't fry or were damaged beyond use. I don't want to overclock unless I'm 200% sure I won't damage my system.

Nope, took a chip out of the RAM and a hole through the motherboard, he got lucky and was able to RMA it cuz he lied :<
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#8 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:23 PM

I agree with TheYoda everywhere except for the disk. While there are fast disks with 10k rpm available to consumers, they are no faster than many consumer-grade 7.2k drives. The reason? Density. Even though the platters are moving faster in the 10k drive, the sectors are spaced farther apart to deal with the speed.

NOTABLE EXCEPTION: 10k drives generally have better access time, while they are equivalent with 7.2k drives on throughput.
http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage.html
note that the top disks are NOT 10k drives.

Billy3
Edit: Now with more consumer and less consuber

Edited by Billy O'Neal, 12 March 2008 - 08:29 PM.

Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#9 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:31 PM

Oh, here's a better benchmark.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage.html...76&chart=33

Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB (7.2k) drive 118 mb/sec
WD Raptor (10k drive) 87 mb/sec
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#10 HybridEyeGrillage

HybridEyeGrillage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:42 AM

I know about Vista's Aero hogging a lot of resources, and I've decided that I'd disable it and run WindowBlinds in the background, to spruce it up without taking away from my RAM. As for buying 3 single sticks... after some thought, I might later be persuaded to got to 64-bit, at least when the software and drivers for my programs have 64-bit support. I'll deal with that later on.

The WD Raptor that I've heard so much about (and read about) doesn't really appeal to me so much. I'm not one to go ballistic about a game not going supermode for me because my hard drive isn't spinning fast enough. I'm sure that I can cope with a 72k RPM drive. This computer is more for graphical needs than gaming, but the 3.5 RAM limit of 32-bit Windows doesn't seem to bother me too much (yet..). Once again, I'll deal with that later, but I'll stick to buying 4 sticks still, so I won't have to get another stick sent again with shipping and so forth.

So thank you very much, TheYoda and Billy O'Neal , for your input and links. I can safely say that this build will be a keeper for quite some years. :thumbsup:

#11 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:17 PM

Like I said, the 10k RPM is optional, and thanks billy for that info, i did not know that :thumbsup:.

Vista treats system memory like a cache much more aggressively and effectively than any other version of Windows.

And for Vista, its not just Aero that hogs memory, its the operating system itself. Here's an article that will explain better (and i personally found very intresting, and where above quote is found). In summary, it says that Vista uses a lot of memory as cache for itself to run the operating system faster via "SuperFetch." This presents some problems, however, in the event of loading an application because SuperFetch has to clear out the excess cache and put it onto the harddrive (causing slow loading in application) and than allows the application to use the memory as needed.

Hope this helped, Good luck on your build! And always remember, ground yourself before you even open the boxes! (and never build on a rug with socks on :huh:).

Regards,
TheYoda

Edited by TheYoda, 13 March 2008 - 05:18 PM.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

#12 HybridEyeGrillage

HybridEyeGrillage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:21 PM

Like I said, the 10k RPM is optional, and thanks billy for that info, i did not know that :thumbsup:.

Vista treats system memory like a cache much more aggressively and effectively than any other version of Windows.

And for Vista, its not just Aero that hogs memory, its the operating system itself. Here's an article that will explain better (and i personally found very intresting, and where above quote is found). In summary, it says that Vista uses a lot of memory as cache for itself to run the operating system faster via "SuperFetch." This presents some problems, however, in the event of loading an application because SuperFetch has to clear out the excess cache and put it onto the harddrive (causing slow loading in application) and than allows the application to use the memory as needed.

Hope this helped, Good luck on your build! And always remember, ground yourself before you even open the boxes! (and never build on a rug with socks on :huh:).

Regards,
TheYoda

And I had just read the thread about "Why Does Vista Use All My Memory?" prior to checking around here. ^^
Other than that, I don't mind Vista. It's really not as bad as a lot of people make it out to be, but there are still improvements to be made, sure. XP started out bad and now it's top-notch in most areas. Vista may very well end up the same... unless Microsoft goes farther with their Windows 7 prototype.

And I think I'll try to go with the "MegaTokyo" way of system building my friend reccommends- just the bare necessities. *^^*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users