Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Won't Boot C:\windows\system\config\system

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rider1984

rider1984

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:24 PM

okay so my computer gave me this error on booot: c:\windows\system\config\system

so i bought a new hard drive and reinstalled windows a week later i got the same error i tried to reinstall but it wouldnt work. so i returned that harddrive and bought another one. A week later i got the same error message. i was able to boot the computer with the xp cd but i didnt start the recovery software. i just let windows load normally. then i did a chkdsk on the drive and found 128 bad cluster. restarted the pc and got the same error message. i google the c:\windows\system\config\system missing or corrupt error message and found the fix. but havent tried it i think iam going to buy another harddrive and do another fresh install. i just wondering if someone knows what could be causing this. i would hate to fix it for the third time just to have it happen again in a week. thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DHCP

DHCP

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:28 AM

Hey there,

Iv had that same problem, lthough mine onldid it once i repaired it with the link below

Check out:

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
Starting

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;307545

Hope this helps

Dave

Edited by DHCP, 11 March 2008 - 04:34 AM.

The One And Only!!!

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:28 AM

The "c:\windows\system\config\system missing or corrupt" error message is most commonly caused by corruption of the file system on the hard drive (although it can be caused by a corruption or deletion of that particular hive of the registry). The usual fix is to run chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console.

I would be concerned that this is happening repeatedly. Something appears to be corrupting your hard drive on a regular basis and that should be looked into. Does this happen immediately after the new installation (which would lead me to suspect a hardware issue), or does it happen after you install all your favorite programs (which would lead me to suspect a software issue).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 rider1984

rider1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:02 AM

thanks guys i googled the error and found out how to fix it, i also tried chkdsk which didnt work and left me with 128gb of bad clusters! but i dont want to fix it till i get an idea of what could be causing this. iam probably going to do a fresh install on a new harddrive. unless iam able to clean this drive.

the error happens about a week after i install xp. i installed some of my fav programs though opera, focus mp3 recorder, aim...
but i think its probably a hardware thing. my computer is getting old. it's 4 or 5 years old and i run it 24/7. what would most likely cause this motherboard, ram? could it be a virus spreading from my other harddrives?

Edited by rider1984, 11 March 2008 - 09:12 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:08 AM

I would suspect that it's either a software issue with one of the programs that you use - or it's a problem with the motherboard as it processes stuff to write it to the hard drive (but that's unlikely IMO).

If you reinstall, keep track of the programs that you install - that may give some clues.
Also, try looking in Event Viewer for any errors that may occur. To do this, go to Start...Run...and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Check in both the System and Application log files. Double click on the errors to see what's going on.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 rider1984

rider1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 06:23 PM

okay i have some system errors before th crash:
An error was detected \device\harddrive2\d during paging operation

type: warning
event id: 51

theres one like one ever 40 mins before that too for days
there were no error in the application section before the crash.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:15 PM

That message...and your interpretation of chkdsk's failure...point to hard drive problems.

I suggest that you run chkdsk /r to completion on the drive. If chkdsk is unable to finish, then you need to download a manufacturer's diagnostic and proceed to run the long test on the drive in question.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Hard Disk Drive Diagnostics-Utilities - http://www.duxcw.com/faq/hd/diag.htm

Louis

#8 rider1984

rider1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:55 PM

okay i ran the chkdsk and it didnt do anything just found 128gbs of bad clusters. also i couldnt get chkdsk to work in the recovery program so i used the windows one which made me restart... anyways then i did a long test on it with western digital's software which said it passed. but it still has 128gb of bad clusters and this drive is only one week old. what could be causing this problem. as i said this is the second new harddrive that this happend to. so i dont think i got to bad hard drives.

#9 rider1984

rider1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:59 AM

okay i ran chkdsk again it didnt do anything new. iam still out 128gbs. i guess ill reformat and reinstall everything for the third time! i just wish someone had an idea what could be causing errors like this. iam running a memory check on the ram now.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:19 AM

IMO...128 GB is an enormous amount to fall into the bad sector category.

Just where did you get that number, please?

What is the stated size of the hard drive in question?

Louis

#11 rider1984

rider1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:26 PM

thats what iam saying its insane 128 gbs! the drive is a brand new western digital 320gb 7200 hard drive. so now i only have 166 gb free. i got the number at the end of my chkdisk. it finished checking hte free space and said it was moving 128gbs to the bad cluster file or something like this. i just ran check disk again with the fix errors option and it still did nothing. my computer started up like normal when i put my old hard drive bad in. iam pretty sure its a hardware issue. because sometimes i get the error some times i dont.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:06 PM

When you run chkdsk from My Computer, you must put checks in both options (fix, recover)...not just one.

Louis

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:08 PM

Since you've replaced the hard drive already, I'd suspect that it was not the problem. That would leave either the motherboard drivers or the motherboard itself as the most likely area where the problem would lie.

I'd attempt to run a program like SiSoft Sandra Lite (free here: http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir...n=sware_dl_3264 ) to see if it can find any issues. Otherwise I'd have to suggest some sort of motherboard/hard drive controller test - but don't know of any that are inexpensive (the test software usually costs more than a couple of motherboards). Maybe having a motherboard test run at a local PC shop?

#14 rider1984

rider1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:20 PM

iam just going to format it and then run zeros over it. ill try running that sisoft software. guess its just time for a new computer.

Edited by rider1984, 12 March 2008 - 09:26 PM.

#15 rider1984

rider1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:57 PM

thanks for the help i formated the drive and ran some zeros on it. looks like the problem was a bad cable! i re-read the error code and thats what windows sugested well see in a few days but good so far

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users