Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Shuts Down Automatically Onstart Up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

1337 Malware Destroyer

• Members
  • 611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:01 PM

Hey guys,

Got another one fore ya here, well my parents PC just turns off right after the Windows XP screen comes on. I tried that a few times with the same affect. My next thought was too boot into Safe Mode and to see if I can find a virus or something. Same thing, right after loading the drivers, shuts down. All I can think of is it might be over heating, but I dunno. I have done my best to spray all the dust outta of the tower, and that worked for some time, but now its back to its old issues. Any thoughts or help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:28 AM

Check to see if the fan on the CPU heat sink is spinning up to speed, and see if it has any dust inside. Check to see if the air intake locations are clear, try running it with the cover off and see if that makes a difference. Make sure that the heat sink if firmly attached. If the computer is several years old you may want to replace the thermal compound between the CPU and its heat sink. If you download Everest Home Edition you can monitor the temperatures without having to enter the BIOS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ashton_r

ashton_r

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:06 AM

i used to have that problem, did u download anything recently, it might have a virus, thats what i had. well, if u can get your stuff back that u need, my best offer is to do a system restore to checkpoint. try that, and if it doesnt work try system restore, and start woth everything on ur computer that it camne with when u bought it.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:22 AM

I'd have to suggest enabling boot logging on the next reboot (should be an option for it in the Safe Mode screen). Viewing that can tell you what drivers have failed to load. And, since it restarts - the last driver in the list should be the culprit (the list will be pretty long).

The other possibility is a corruption within the registry. At this point in the boot process the system transfers control from the kernel mode processes to the user mode processes (and this is the place where the startup drivers are loaded and the rest of the registry is loaded). The "easiest" fix for this is to use the Last Known Good Configuration (LKG) to load the last successful version of the registry. If that doesn't work, then there's different methods for restoring the registry that get more complicated.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users