Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Xp... Phoenix Bios?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 steve g

steve g

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:18 PM

im about to reinstall windows XP but i get a message saying

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program. Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3."

I had such troubles once before on my dell but was able to change some loading option in my BIOS and it worked perfectly... but this is a HP Presario v6000 and the BIOS menu is different... i think it is a PhoenixBIOS (version "f.06"....

anyone have any helpful hints as to how to navigate this bios menu and change what is necesary to get the windows CD to install?

EDIT - website that helped me b4 is "http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic18329.html"

Edited by steve g, 10 March 2008 - 06:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:24 PM

If you have a SATA hard drive, please read on:

This is typically caused by having the hard disk controller option set to AHCI instead of ATA in the bios so you have two choices:

Go into the bios and change that option from AHCI to ATA, reboot, and your hard drives should be found.

OR

Download the AHCI drivers for your mobo and place them on a floppy. Once done, press F6 when prompted during the install process to load the AHCI drivers. Your hard drive will then be found later in the process.

Most people will opt to do the simple switch to ATA even though a few functions like NCQ and Raid become unavailable; however, your system should run fine in the ATA mode. Let us know.

Edited by ucanfixit, 10 March 2008 - 08:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users