Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Acrobat 8.1.2 Won't Launch

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Moki

Moki

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:04 PM

Tried to uninstall it in Add or Remove Programs, it looks for a file that does not exist (an installer file) and won't uninstall.
Tried to use Windows Clean-up. Selected 8.1.2 to remove, but it's still there.

I can't print any PDF files (and my printer is also on the fritz - see my other post) so I'm in a real pickle. I have to somehow get some documents off the web asap, and I can't do it!!!

I remember reading somewhere (after the fact) that you need to uninstall any older versions of Acrobat on your computer before installing 8.1.2., which, of course, I didn't.

I see that others are recommending a program called "Foxit?" which I don't know anything about.

If someone is knowlegable about pdf readers, please give me pros/cons about both, I use other Adobe products just fine, and this is the very first time I have every encountered a problem with Acrobat. For years, it ran just quiety and without error until I upgraded to 8.1.2.

Am I doomed to never use Adobe acrobat again because they've buggered up their newest versions? My preference is to fix my install and use the new Adobe, but if it's a goner, then I need to know about other alternatives (Foxit, whatever). I hate to go to something new and then have issues of compatability with it, too.

Please, ideas / suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:33 PM

I find Foxit less bloated and troublesome to use.
How to manually remove Adobe reader:
http://kb.adobe.com
http://blog.stealthpuppy.com
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:58 PM

If you are in a pinch, you can download and use this nice PDF viewer without having to install it. Simply unzip the folder and use the executable: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Wind...load-93052.html

#4 Moki

Moki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:11 PM

Thank you both for your replies. After some research, I discovered that Adobe has loaded up Reader with tons of crap and continual updates. Gramanma, I'll try those links to free myself of the behemoth and give Foxit a try. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users