Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer 98-100 % All The Time, Fan Running Non Stop

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 CPRchris

CPRchris

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:54 PM

Hi all, finally starting to post...have been a "lurker" for a while here, have gotten lots of tips and advice from all the posts, and great programs to diagnose all kinds of programs.

Here's my problem....

The Laptop I am on is extremely lagged.......lagged to me, means very slow and sluggish. If I open a new i.e. 7 window, or start any program, it takes over 10 seconds to start after clicking, and the whole time, the fan/hardrive kicks in, whizzing away, and the CPU usage kicks all the way up to 98-100 % and stays there. Even when the system goes back to normal, it stays up at over 50 %.

It also shows that the sys idle process is 98, but the computer will be still running at almost 98 % though.

I had my buddy post for me over on the malware forum, thinking that was the problem, but all the tests came back clean there, leading me to think it's a hardware issue/problem.

Here are the specs on my system :

HP AMD Turion 64 Mobile Technology ML-37
1.99 GHz, 1.00 GB Ram
Windows XP Home, Installed with sp2
120 GB NTFS hard drive © (FUJITSU MHV2120AT PL)
9 GB HP_Recovery (d)

I still have over 50 gb of space on ©. HDDlife for notebooks tells me the temp is 42 c, health status at 100 %, and performance also at 100 %. Work time is 4 months, 21 days, 1 hour. (3385 hours)

I've ran the defragger, chkdsk, and as I originally thought it was a virus/malware issue, went and bought Norton SystemWorks 2008 Standard. Norton comes back clean for the most part, and the problems are the same now as compared to before I installed Norton a few weeks ago.

I don't know what else to add.....the whole system is just bogged down and I'm at my wit's end !

HELP !

chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:26 PM

Hi CPRchris and :thumbsup: to BC!,

Do you have lots of programs running in your system tray (This is where the clock is located and all the icons next to it.) Also, do you have lots of programs running? Maye you have too many processes running on your PC and that is what it causing all the CPU usage.

Regards,
David.

#3 CPRchris

CPRchris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:06 PM

Not really, I have my Norton, wireless signal, task manager graph, msn messenger, HDDlife stats, volume, LAN unplugged, and the battery/ac symbol

Currently I have 3 programs running, I.E. 7 (2 windows), and MSN Messenger.

I notice that with either lots of programs or very few open, there is no difference. When I switch users or log off, the normal sound, is very staggered and delayed. Same as when I power up, it takes forever to boot up, and the logon sound is staggered and delayed as well.

Im clueless to tell you the truth. I first thought I had a bug or virus or malware, but it had been proven my systems clean.

*sigh*

chris

Edited by CPRchris, 10 March 2008 - 06:07 PM.

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:14 PM

I've ran the defragger, chkdsk, and as I originally thought it was a virus/malware issue, went and bought Norton SystemWorks 2008 Standard. Norton comes back clean for the most part, and the problems are the same now as compared to before I installed Norton a few weeks ago.

can you please clarify; what antivirus protection program was on board before Norton?

what DOES Norton reveal on its scan?

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:18 PM

please post a link to your all clean thread, we might get some clues performance or conflict wise from it?

there are a lot of problematic programs

what's using the cpu at 50%?

Edited by DaChew, 10 March 2008 - 06:23 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:25 PM

please post a link to your all clean thread

suggest it is on another site as from a search this is the only thread I can find on here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry763962

#7 CPRchris

CPRchris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:33 PM

I was running a trial version of Norton 2007, the 180 day one, it ran out, I went without ! AcK ! I wasnt going on the internet much, so I didnt bother re-newing it.

When the scans came up from the 2007 one, nothing was found, mind ya, liveupdate wasnt run in about 2-3 months.

With the 2008 scan results, it shows a tracking cookie only, and it was removed.

Oh, and the link for the clean malware stuff, is here : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/134401/laptop-is-sooo-slow-i-cant-do-nothing/

I had done it from my buddies computer, this one was just horrible and I was ready to toss it onto the highway !

chris

can you please clarify; what antivirus protection program was on board before Norton?

what DOES Norton reveal on its scan?

#8 CPRchris

CPRchris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:43 PM

Nice profile pic !

When I leave the laptop alone and it goes back down to idle, it is fine, but when I click any program or even open up pictures, either the fan or hard drive kick in, and the system shoots up to 98-100 %. It has me puzzled.

I just opend up a pictures folder, and in taskmanager, explorer.exe shot up to over 50 % for about 15 seconds, went back down, computer read as idle again on the performance bar, but is still all "lagged".

I can move my arrow across the screen, and it is all choppy. Also when I open up the clock, and watch the time, its all choppy as well.

It's got me puzzled !

please post a link to your all clean thread, we might get some clues performance or conflict wise from it?

there are a lot of problematic programs

what's using the cpu at 50%?

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:45 PM

If I had to gander a guess I would say it will end up being related to Symantec.

If the white wizard ganders a guess, I would have to go along with that

I would do a complete uninstall of norton's and use their clean tool but first I would disable teatimer, I quit using it for reasons like this. Sometimes a repair disk would not even fix windows.

ctfmon.exe

that office language toolbar thing has acted up and caused similar problems on some systems
Chewy

#10 CPRchris

CPRchris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:51 PM

When I got my 2008 Norton, I called and had them direct me on how to completely un-install all the stuff. All of it was uninstalled and I started fresh and installed the 2008 program.

The problem was there before I uninstalled, after I uninstalled, and still here after I installed the new one.

Strange eh ?

#11 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:59 PM

from the log

C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe

you have spybot's Tea timer ? you also have Norton? I suggest you could have a 'real time' protection conflict here?

#12 CPRchris

CPRchris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:23 PM

I've got it disabled and not running. Should I uninstall it and remove it then ?

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:27 PM

StyleXP.exe -Hide

this would concern me, xp is a hog with styles and themes already, a laptop has a lot going against it, it doesn't need eye and ear candy

I wrote a guide about turning a toy into a tool, toys are slow and dull, tools are fast and sharp

Edited by DaChew, 10 March 2008 - 07:28 PM.

Chewy

#14 CPRchris

CPRchris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:31 PM

Ok, stylexp, spybot/teatimer, and some msn junk are uninstalled and gone from the system, same problem still

Here's a screengrab from a few minutes ago, perhaps this will add some insight.....

A few questions, why are there 8 svchost.exe's ? and 2 photoshop, CCSVCHOST, and ati2evxx's ?

chris

Edited by CPRchris, 10 March 2008 - 08:32 PM.

#15 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:01 PM

the 2 ati's are not good
usually a bad video driver load, but that would be minor

the 8 svchost.exe's are probably some norton's running as services

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx

this will give some insight into which programs are calling them up

alt+prntscrn captures the top windows paste into paint and save as png

it's really looking like teatimer kept you from uninstalling that earlier norton's, like I suggested before you'll have to wipe norton's off and make sure every bit is gone before you can fix this, if it can be fixed

Edited by DaChew, 10 March 2008 - 09:09 PM.

Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users