Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 2000 -default Installation Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:16 PM

I have a mess here.

I am trying to help a sister-in-law with her Compaq Presario 5000 desktop. It had the ME OS which was corrupted. I elected to install Win 2000, which 'appears' to be working alright.

Now I am trying to install all the other sosftware that was erased during the installation of W2K. I get/got the message that there is not enough room/space to install even an update of IE5>IE6. Further investigation shows that the HD was partitioned to C (20 GB) and D (5GB); apparently some of the 'system stuff is on D....

....but, as I try to install any additional software, like AVG, is automatically trys to store that software in D...and no matter what I do, it will not change...even when it shows the installation directory options (when I try to change from D > C, nothing happens, i.e., it does not change).

So...the question(s)....how do I change this default installation directory? Am I in a bind with the Compaq configuration? I don't have the original installation CDs; they are in Ohio; I am in NC; the sister-in-law is in Florida.

Since I installed W2K over ME, I destroyed everything ME had installed. Should I reformat the HD and start over?

Thanks.

polaris6

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:04 PM

The 5 gig partition is probably the recovery partition. It has (or had) a ghost image of Windows ME on it. Either that or you installed ME on the 5 gig partition and there's no room left for anything else. If it were me I'd FDisk the whole shebang (deleting all partitions) and start over

Edited by garmanma, 10 March 2008 - 07:05 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for the response.

I once lived in Cleveland (was born there), and I know how finicky the weather can be at this time of the year.

I don't think that there is a ghost image of ME on that 5GB partition (D partition). I can view the contents and it looks to be 'system' files...WINNT, Prog Files, Linksys Drivers, etc...some Compaq drivers, etc....Now just filled and only about 10MB remaining.

There is also some of the same type of files on the C partition. However, there is 19GB remaining.

Is there a way I can change the default installation drive (which is now D) to C. I have tried to install IE6SP2, Office 2000, AVG, Norton System Works, and some other packages, but they all try to install on D, where there is no room, and I don't have the option to change it. When I installed the PCI Wireless Adapter, it installed on D, but there was enough room then, so I have internet connection, but little else.

If I reformat the entire drive and remove the partitions, will I have difficulty with the Compaq 'configuration'? I know Compaq has done funny things is the past and I hope I am not now the victims of one of those 'engineering masterpieces'.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:31 PM

You're going to want to make sure you have 2K drivers onhand or know where to download them from. You could try to merge the partitions and delete duplicate files, but you'd need a partition manager. Not really sure about Compaq's configuration, I've only worked on 2 a long time ago
As far as finicky weather, right now it sucks. Not quite, but almost as bad as '77
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:27 PM

I lived in Kent, OH in '77. I know what you mean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users