Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Proxy changing/switching

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 12:01 PM

I regularly surf a number of mainstream "political" blogs, many of which allow the posting of comments. It is common to have a commenter "banned", usually for using profanity or personal insults, but occasionally it is mentioned that someone has used something called a "proxy changer " or "proxy switcher" to disguise his/her computer to sneak back into the blog and again cause trouble.. I Googled this subject and searched in Webopedia without any results, at least none in simple English. I'll bet there's someone here who can educate me. I've never been banned....just curious about why bother banning someone if it's relatively easy to cheat and come back to a blog with further disruptive comments.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 04:32 PM

Hi Twinsdad,

We have that problem with students running around our security settings at our schools. If there is way around security, a student can find it. There are several sites out there that allow you to connect to them, and the pass thru to the internet. They act as a proxy, or "third party" to route internet traffic thru them. To my understanding, web sites see their IP address. To our security systems, they act as a fetch tool. Where we deny access to certain sites, with a filter or absolute block, their ip address may not be known, and therefore allow infomation... games... bad stuff... to pass through to the user. On our end, we have devices that monitor this type of thing and the squash it, but the pathway is opened at least briefly.

So, yes, if they want to bad enough, a user can be a pain in the butt and hide themselves... to a point.

Take care

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 04:54 PM

rigelslight: Thanks for the explanation. Interesting.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users