Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Documents And Settings Folder On C:\ And D:\

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kandimann7

kandimann7

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:37 PM

I am running Windows XP Home SP2 (OEM version) on a MESH computer with a 250Gb hard drive and 1Gb of RAM. My hard disk is divided into three partitions C:\, D:\ and E:\ with Windows installed on C:\.

I recently had what I thought was a driver problem with my DVD RW and using the CD that came with my Mesh computer I decided to do a system file scan and repair or replace any system files that appeared corrupted/damaged.

However, the machine started a reinstall of Windows and because I did not know how to stop it I had to let it go through the full cycle of reinstalling Windows over the Windows installation that already existed.

Two days later I have reinstalled all my software and preferred system settings and everything seemed okay until I had a problem downloading updates for Adaware 2007. Checking the settings in Adaware I saw it was pointing it's update files to D:\Documents and Settings and not, as it should be, at C:\Documents and Settings.

I find I now have a Documents and Settings folder on my D partition as well as on my C partition althought the copy on my D partition does not have as many sub folders and entries. I know I cannot delete the Documents and Settings folder from the D partition because Windows will not let me and anyway it would cause an unknown number of problems.

My questions are:
1 Can I somehow move/merge all the entries in the D partition folder to the C partition folder so that I again have only one Documents and Settings folder?
2 Am I stuck with 2 Documents and Settings folders?
3 At the moment I have lost the will to live, but if I decided to reinstall Windows again, how would I get rid of the Documents and Settings folder from the D partition and how would I stop the same folder being created on the D partition again as I don't remember being given an option during the installation process?
4 I don't know why it would, but if I format the C partition first and then reinstall Windows XP, will that stop the creation of a second Documents and Settings folder on the D partition?

I can't figure this out for myself as I'm not an expert but I am reasonably experienced and if registry hacks are involved I'm already in the process of making backups should someone have a means of remedying my problem.

At the risk of being a bore, if I am stuck with both now, is there a way I can ensure that any future entries during software installation etc are made in the Documents and Settings Folder on the C partition?

Thanks

Edited by kandimann7, 10 March 2008 - 03:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:57 PM

Apparently, this can happen if you attempt to (or inadvertently) install XP over top of an existing XP installation: See here: http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-297664.php
Now, his ended up on C and yours ended up on D. How? I don't know but I would be willing to guess that if you did a full format, then recreated your partitions, and then did the full reinstall on C, your problems would go away... I know it didn't take a brain surgeon to figure that one out but at least the above thread might give you some idea as to how you ended up where you are today.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:37 AM

Please enable viewing of hidden files and file extensions in Windows Explorer (Tools...Folder Options...View tab). Then navigate to the root of the C: drive and the D: drive. Locate the boot.ini file(s) there.

1) Let us know if both the C: drive and the D: drive have boot.ini files
2) Save a copy of a text file to the My Documents folder and let us know which one it saves to (C: or D:)
3) When you boot, do you have the opportunity to choose between 2 copies of Microsoft Windows?
4) Open boot.ini, copy the contents, and post back with the information.

This should enable us to identify the currently active Windows installation - and tell you how to revert to the installation on the C: drive. Once there, it'll be a simple matter to transfer the stuff from the D: drive to the C: drive (as long as the C: drive copy of Windows is functioning properly).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 kandimann7

kandimann7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 12:57 PM

Hi usasma

1 There is a Boot.ini on my C: drive but there is NOT a Boot.ini on my D Drive.

2 When I saved the text file I was given the choice of only one My Documents and that is on the C Drive. There is not a My Documents folder on the D Drive.

3 Yes I do have the choice of 2 copies of Windows when I boot but I don't know which is which and have been using the first option.

4 The below is the Boot.ini from my C: drive.

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP

Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP

5 My Windows operating system seems to be functioning as it should in every other way so far.

#5 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 01:01 PM

If you do reinstall windows, why do you have partitions?
Unless you are running another operating system on the same system (Like Windows xp and linux), there is really no reason to have partitioned your disk.

When you do reinstall, it may be a good idea to make one big partition.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:45 PM

Selecting the first option will get you the Windows that's running on the second partition (presumably your D: drive). The system boots off the C: drive, then transfers control to Windows on the D: drive.

Try selecting the second choice in the OS menu and see what it does - if it works we'll move everything back over to the C: drive and edit the boot.ini so it's the only choice. Then we can clear out the second partition for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 kandimann7

kandimann7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:29 PM

Hi again usasma.

I rebooted choosing the second option as you said and Windows opened with all of my previous settings and options. However, although I downloaded my email using my Pocomail Email Software, I could not connect to the internet using Internet Explorer or Firefox.

So I've now rebooted using the first option again and have been able to connect again.

Am I right in thinking that I need to boot back into the second option and reinstall everything on that option or is there an easier way?

I need to go offline now as it's 9pm here in the UK and will be back tomorrow. I really appreciate your help and I'll carry out your instructions as soon as I can and I'll let you know how it goes

Edited by kandimann7, 11 March 2008 - 03:55 PM.

#8 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:03 PM

Hello,

It appears that usasma is doing a great job of walking you through to a fix but I just read that you are now having IE problems as well and I'm guessing that won't be the end of it. So, if you run into even more problems as this fix progresses, I would second Billy3's advice if it leads to a full reinstall.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:08 PM

It'll be your choice to either repair the C: drive installation of Windows to regain internet connectivity - or to use the D: drive installation of Windows and transfer everything over (with the missing My Documents folder being another concern that we'll have to deal with).

Either way, it's advisable that you choose a Windows installation to use and we can work from that.

If you choose the C: drive, we'll have to figure out why you can't connect and fix that issue.
If you choose the D: drive, we'll have to figure out why you don't have My Documents on your D: drive and then move all the stuff from the C: drive to the D: drive.

IMO it would be simplest to work with the C: drive and get rid of the stuff from the D: drive (after we get internet connectivity on the C: drive).

#10 kandimann7

kandimann7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:28 PM

Ok, I've booted into the C drive this evening and am connected to the internet so I agree with you that I should work with the C drive and get rid of the stuff from the D drive so I'm ready for the next step :thumbsup:

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:02 PM

OK, so let's start with the C: drive installation. Are you having any problems with it? If so, what are they?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users