Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High Spped Internet not High Speed

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bulldog

Bulldog

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 20 July 2004 - 11:13 AM

After my recent incounters with the Hijackers and Adware my computer seems to be runing very slow. I did the regular maintenance disk clean and defraged but that still hasn't helped any suggestions.
bulldogsmall6ma.jpg

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abe Lincoln

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 July 2004 - 11:19 AM

Did you try unplugging your modem and plugging it back in? If that does not do the trick, go to start and click run and type command in the run box when DOS come's up type in ipconfig, and ping a site like google, type in. ping google.com remember to put a space between ping and the site..and let it run it's course. and see if any packets are lost. Are you on cable or DSL? You can also click start...control panel...network connections right click on local area connection and click repair.. Let us know if there is any packet loss in the ipconfig.. The we can move on to flushing the DNS

Edited by brunt, 20 July 2004 - 11:21 AM.

#3 Bulldog

Bulldog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2004 - 12:22 PM

I rebooted my computer and unplugged the modem. I ran the ipconfig and pinged google and it said that 0 files lost 0%. I am a newbie so I wasn't sure how to exit from DOS. I had to remember the old school days so I typed "exit" it worked so hopefully that was fine. Also I am on Cable 512K I beleive. Iwent to the control panel and couldn't find any repair command on the LAN connection. Thanks for your help so far.
bulldogsmall6ma.jpg

"And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - Abe Lincoln

#4 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 July 2004 - 12:27 PM

Has it been doing this for awhile now or has it just started? Cable can get congested and slow down to a crawl. But just in case download this program run it and copy the results and post in the hijackthis forums

http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

post results here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...hp?showforum=22

And downlaod the spyware check in my signature its a very good one.

Edited by brunt, 20 July 2004 - 12:29 PM.

#5 Bulldog

Bulldog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2004 - 02:26 PM

This problem has just started and I appologize. I have a DSL connection thru our local phone company not cable. Do I procced with same procedure to fix possible problem or being I actually have DSL are there other suggestions. Sorry again.

Edited by Bulldog, 20 July 2004 - 02:27 PM.

bulldogsmall6ma.jpg

#6 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 July 2004 - 04:00 PM

Sorry aboutthe lengthy delay. Yes you can do the same for DSL. DSL does not get congested so it wont be that. Use the same steps above and psot them back. Thanks
Brunt

#7 Bulldog

Bulldog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 08:27 AM

In the beginning of this correspondence I talked about my recent encounter with the Hijackers and Ad-ware. The before 7-19 I had two new icons on my desktop MyPcSearch and 2ndThought. I posted my problems here and talked with Grinler and it was suggested I use Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware then run Hijack This. I did and it got rid of alot of stuff. The crazy thing is my computer isn't even that old. You can see the last post on that subject (Hijacker, Dialers, Adware deletion) and it will have my final results after running two programs and then Hijack This.

I also downloaded the Registry Mechanic 3.0. It also found like 150 plus errors. The majority is in a section called Deep Registry Scan. What exactly is the registry?

Previously you mentioned flushing the DNS. What would this entail? Would this help?

Edited by Bulldog, 21 July 2004 - 09:06 AM.

bulldogsmall6ma.jpg

#8 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 09:08 AM

The registry is somthign that if you really dont know what it is is something that should not be messed with. Literally one wrong move can make your os dead. But I do not know if that is what is causing your slow down. And sorry about telling you to do the same thigs I did not know you already used the programs.

Can you do this for me, Right click my computer, left click manage, the left click on the the plus on the left hand side of event viewer and let me know if there is any red or yellow marks in there under system and applications. If there are write some of them down. Next right right click my computer left click properties, left click hardware , left click device manager, see if there is any yellow marks in there.

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 10:28 AM

I am not clear whether your PC is running applications slower, or your DSL connexion iseems to have slowed down.
If it is the latter, then both PC Pitstop and DSLreports have tests to determine your download/upload speed. Run both several times during different parts of the day and average these out.

http://www.dslreports.com/tools

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 Guest_brunt_*

Guest_brunt_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 10:35 AM

Try this as well,

go to start click run and in the box type command

Then ipconfig
Then ipconfig/all
then ipconfig/release
then ipconfig/renew
See if that helps any

#11 Bulldog

Bulldog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2004 - 11:37 AM

There are a bunch in each. I definantly wouldn't want to count. Under application they(Errors and Warnings) start 12/3/03.

Errors are as follows:

Source: Userenv No Category Event: 1000
Source: Liveupdate No Category Event: 59.
Source: SceCli No Category Event: 1001

Warnings vary and are as follows:

Source: MSSQL$MICROSOFTBCM Category: 8 Event: 19011 User: N/A
Source: WinMgmt No Category Event: 61
Source: Eventsystem Category: Firing agent Event: 4100
Source: MsiInstaller No Category Event: 1004
Source: LoadPerf No Category Event: 2000
Source: LoadPerf No Category Event: 2002

Under System they are as follows:

Errors:

Source: Netlogon No Category Event: 5788
Source: Netlogon No Category Event: 5789
Source: Print No Category Event: 61
Source: Netlogon No Category Event: 5719
Source: Dhcp No Category Event: 1002
Source: Server No Category Event: 2505
Source: Server No Category Event: 2504
Source: Iprip No Category Event: 29052

Warnings:
Source: Print No Category Event: 20
Source: Dnsapi No Category Event: 11153
Source: bcm4sbe5 No Category Event: 4
Source: Print No Category Event: 8
Source: Automacitc Updates Category: Download Event: 16
Source: W32Time No Category Event: 54
Source: W32Time No Category Event: 64
Source: W32Time No Category Event: 11
Source: RSVP No Category Event: 10047
Source: Dhcp No Category Event: 1006
Source: Dhcp No Category Event: 1003
Source: MrxSmb No Category Event: 3034
Source: Dnscache No Category Event: 11050

There is something that says other device with parallel device listed underneath that. It looks like an exclamation point on it.

Wow!! I don't like they way W32Time Looks or MrxSmb. :thumbsup:

Edited by Bulldog, 21 July 2004 - 11:54 AM.

bulldogsmall6ma.jpg

#12 Bulldog

Bulldog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2004 - 02:19 PM

Sorry about e-mailing you about this subject but I haven't recieved a
reply after I was told to check the Event Viewer in My Computer. When I did
there is an over whelming amount of errors and warnings and some stuff looks
suspicious. Thanks for your time.

Edited by Grinler, 22 July 2004 - 08:51 PM.

bulldogsmall6ma.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users