Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Networking

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ttnbd

ttnbd

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:17 PM

I have a home wireless network, which on the whole works well. The wireless hub is also an ADSL modem and when my laptop or desktop connects to the network the internet is instantly available.

As I have a growing family doing homework and stuff, there are a couple of computers in the house all networked via the hub.

I have a Network Printer, come fax and a LAN hard drive....and here is were my problems begin....

They are connected to my hub via cable. I am constantly....and we are talking daily....having to reboot these two devices otherwise they cannot be connected to from the other computers on the network. It seem such a petty problem....but is frustrating :thumbsup:

I would appreciate other peoples experiences and solutions if they exist.

Tim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:16 PM

I guess that I'm curious as to how they are connected to these other network pieces.

Are they properly on the network as shared items?

Louis

#3 ttnbd

ttnbd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:44 AM

Hi Louis,
Yes they are just standard devices, although the LAN drive gives me most problems....I am constantly having to reconfigure the connection. They are attached to the router by wire....so not running wireless.....they just seem to disappear from the network until rebooted.
tim

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 11 March 2008 - 03:19 PM

Well...attaching is one thing, properly shared as devices...is another.

To be direct...did you set these devices up as shared resources for all users of the network?

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/homenet...ome_Network.htm

I share my printer on my home network...but I must make that election before such happens. It takes more than just connecting them physically to the network/LAN.

Louis

#5 ttnbd

ttnbd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 03:25 AM

Hi Louis....been out so haven't actioned your reply yet.....

I have read some of the articles in the link that you sent

tricky one this....I have four laptops and one desktop. Currently the laptops can see the LAN drive....my desktop can't...yet I only sorted out the connection to the desktop last week. For some reason the desktop keeps "losing" the LAN drive.

At the moment the printer seems to be OK, but for two of the laptops....connection to the internet drifts in and out. It fils and restarts witin seconds....signal is good and other PC's remain connected.

Puzzling??????
Tim

#6 ttnbd

ttnbd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2008 - 07:17 AM

Well I have worked long into the night on this and my eyes are heavy nd can't crack it :huh:

The router is a d-link G-604t. When I power up my NAS and go into the advanced --> lan clients of the router manager I can see my storage device. As soon as I reference it in a Map drive....it disappears from the advanced --> lan clients tab and the only way to retrieve it is to re-boot it. So can't seem to map it from my desktop...... :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users