Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Used Hard Drive Restore

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Buckscrape

Buckscrape

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:24 PM

I have swapped a hard drive from an HP Pavillion to another HP Pavillion, on start up it stated Windows XP needs to be verified for continuation of start up, I have take the key from the old HP and applied them as needed, It then gave me a set of key numbers to call Microsoft with and they would evidently unlock the hd, upon calling they said that the number was valid but I had to call HP, I did HP said I needed to do a restore of the hd to update everyhting, I tried as instructed but got an error message that basically said, BIOS not correct for this application, both HP's are Pavillions purchased at the same time, what can I do to restore to factory settings. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:54 PM

First off, taking the key from your old HP and attempting to apply it to a second PC is an OEM violation because each PC has its own unique key. If this is the case, then your only option may be to do a clean install on that second machine because HP may have installed safeguards to prevent moving an OEM system installation from one machine to another. Now, if HP is anything like Dell, a clean install would not be met by any opposition and should go smoothly. Specifically, on a Dell, I can tell you that one is not even promted for an installation key because the OEM disc is somehow recognized by the bios and allows the installation to complete without intervention (don't ask me how does it know?). At the very worst, your installation key for the second machine may be required.

#3 Buckscrape

Buckscrape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:27 PM

Being a rookie, do I just start putting the Dell discs in, is there a special order in which to do so?

#4 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:34 PM

Sorry I can't assist you further because I have no experience with HP OEM hardware or software; however, I am a little confused about your reference to using a Dell disc on an HP computer. In my previous post, I was just explaining my experience with Dells and I really didn't intend to imply that Dell's software was interchangable with HP's software. Maybe someone else with HP experience will chime in and help you. Good luck.

#5 Buckscrape

Buckscrape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:56 PM

Well I guess what I am trying to say if the HP's only had software installed on the hdrives out of the box, the only software (discs) that I have available are for a Dell computer, and exactly I was wondering if I can use those, since the HP won't boot up to Windows XP and will not except the command for hard restore due to some BIOS opposition! If you can't help I understand, maybe someone else can (I hope). Thanks!

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:28 PM

Sorry but helping you at all would be a violation of the Microsoft EULA. The only option you have is to order discs from HP for the computer they will charge a fee for shipping usually around $20.00.

This topic will be closed for further post since there are no other options.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 11 March 2008 - 04:31 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users