Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window Wont Start

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rider1984

rider1984

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:15 PM

The other week I work up to the computer restarted and it was on the windows welcome screen like i had just reinstalled everything for the first time. I click through the setup but then the computer frozen and i restarted it. Then I got the missing or corrupt file c:\windows\system32\config\system. So i bought a new hard drive and the same thing happend about a week later. Except it just restarted one day and I got the error startup message. I returned that harddrive and reinstalled on another new harddrive. and the same thing happend about a week later. I got the error message telling me to up the xp cd in. So I put the the restore disk in but i didnt load the restore program and windows started up like normal. I set a chkdsk for next start up and restarted the computer. The chkdsk took about 3 hours and found 128gb of bad clusters on a brand new harddrive. The error still comes up at start up. Does anyone know what could be causing a problem like this. i read how I can fix the window/system32/... on the internet but I haven't tried it. whats the point i need to buy a 3rd harddrive and reinstall xp just i dont want this error to pop up again and destroy my harddrive again. also is there a way to fix that error while i have windows running instead?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:48 PM

c:\windows\system32\config\system

is your registry. What is likely happening is that the registry is already damaged, and your efforts to copy the file over are failing because of that. CHKDSK may show bad sectors if the filesystem is copied from one drive to another, with a tool like GHOST. The mappings NTFS uses to keep track of where bad sectors are on the disk are NOT REMOVED by any disk imaging program. Therefore, if the partition was damaged by a bad hard disk that badly in the past, it is unlikely that the partition's windows installation will ever be recoverable.

CHKDSK taking 3 hours on some volumes is not abnormal, especially if that volume has been damaged in the past. You will most likely have to do a clean FULL FORMAT (not a quick format) on the drive and reinstall from scratch.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 rider1984

rider1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:11 PM

okay so how do i stop this from happending iam going to buy a new harddrive and reinstall xp again. also this was a new harddrive so i dont understand why it happend in the first place...

Edited by rider1984, 10 March 2008 - 01:16 PM.

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:09 PM

No, I think your current disk is ok. How did you get your operating system from one disk to another?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 rider1984

rider1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:25 PM

each time i did a clean reinstall with the xp cd. i guess i confused you at some point. basically in the last two weeks i bought two brand new hard drives and installed xp on to them with the xp cd. and with-in a week both were giving me that boot error message. And when i did the chkdsk last night i found 128gbs bad clusters on a 320gb harddrive and the error is still coming up. the only way iam getting windows to start now is with the xp cd for some odd reason.

could it be a virus of some kind spreading from the old drive to this new drive? thats the only thing i could think off. or maybe some of my hardware is failing like the ram or motherboard? the pc is about 4 years old at least.

Edited by rider1984, 10 March 2008 - 09:39 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:08 AM

This error occurs as NTLDR attempts to load the System hive from the registry into memory. The most common repair is to run chkdsk /r (which you've done).

Since you've had 2 different hard drives and this problem occurs on both, it's safe to assume that the hard drive isn't the fault. The next most likely culprits are:
- bad memory
- bad copy of the stuff loaded before getting to this stage of the boot process
- bad copy of the NTLDR
- bad copy of the System registry hive
- other bad hardware components involved in the transfer of data (such as your hard drive controller on the motherboard).

IMO this is caused by something corrupting the file system when Windows is operating. It seems that the most common reason for this on the web is installing Windows on a partition that's larger than the system recognizes. There's 2 possibilities here - either a BIOS limitation, or a file system limitation (the 137 gB limit) that I'd be concerned with.

So, I'd suggest partitioning your hard drive so that the first partition has a size of only 120 gB - that should bypass these limitations and let you get Windows installed properly.

Some questions tho':
1) What size hard drive is this?
2) What version of Windows are you using to install?
3) What service pack level is the install CD (should be written on it).
4) What file system are you using? It's the first line displayed when you run chkdsk (usually NTFS or FAT32)?

I'm moving this topic over to the XP forums as it's more appropriate there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 rider1984

rider1984
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:39 AM

thanks for the help man but you helped me allready in the xp sections. i check the log errors. and it turned out the disk error was caused by a loose cable lol. anyways its been running maybe 5 dyas now with a hitch. so hopefully that does it. i reformated the other harddrive and ran zeros over it. but you guys have all been way helpfull.

If i have another issue ill come back to here. sucks i wasted some much time installing xp like 5 times for it to turn out to be a cable! Live and learn right.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 16 March 2008 - 03:30 PM

Sorry, but I don't check names when I respond - so I had no idea it was the same issue. Thanks for the update tho - I'll add it to my database of boot tips!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users