Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

memory

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tenthouse1

tenthouse1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 10:43 AM

I'm a bleeping novice. I have windows xp with 526mb of memory yet my systom information shows approx capacity of 50,000mb with 38,000 available. Always receiving notices that my memory is too low.....deleted most of the programs. help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 11:40 AM

Have you updated your antivirus, and ran a scan lately?

Are you using these basic security programs?

aČ free-a complementary product to antivirus software which is specialized in protection against harmful software. Antivirus software often features an inadequate protection against Trojans, Dialers and Spyware. aČ fills this gap.
Ad-Aware-A good program similar to SpyBot S & D.
Spybot S&D-Detects and removes spyware, of different types, from your computer.
SpywareBlaster-A good program that prevents spyware from being installed on your computer in the first place. This program is always running in the background, protecting your computer. It prevents the installation of bad active X controls found in web pages.
SpywareGuard-A nice compliment to SpywareBlaster. This allows you the option to prevent downloads that contain bad active X controls.

If not, you need to. These programs, updated and used regularly, will do a lot to keep your computer clean of spyware, trojans, keyloggers, browser hijackers, etc...

Download them, update them, and then run them.

Important:
Please read this tutorial on Spybot S&D before using it. Spybot can do SERIOUS damage, if not used properly.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 11:56 AM

It sounds as if you're confusing hard drive memory with system memory.

And I'm a little uncertain about your "526" megabytes of memory, since that's not a normal memory configuration. Are you sure it isn't "256?"

And for running Windows XP, 256 is not really enough. System memory is the small cards on your motherboard where programs and operating system load while your computer is turned on. Hard drive memory is where you store your programs and files. I'm thinking approximately 50 gigabytes with 38 gigabytes free.

If your computer is an HP or something like that, you might consider calling them and getting another 256 megabytes of RAM. (Random Access Memory) If it's just a generic computer, you have to obtain memory compatible both with your system as well as with the memory you already have.

If you do open your computer case, remember these important warnings: you can destroy any component of your computer with the static electricity in your body. Preferably, you would wear a wrist strap that's grounded to the metal frame of the computer. Also, make sure you unplug the power cord from the computer first - ATX computers are always powered up even when they're turned off. At least ground your body by touching the metal of the case before touching any components, including any packaged memory that you receive.

If you click on your Start button, and then Run, you will pop up a little box. Type in msinfo32 and it will bring up a window with system properties. Scroll down and look for Total Physical Memory and it will tell you what that is, whether it's 526 megabytes or 256 megabytes. Also it will tell you how much space is dedicated to your page file, as well as how much free available memory you have. Every time you open another program or browser window you use more memory and if you run out, it has to swap with the page file on the hard drive which is a very slow process.

#4 Tiberia

Tiberia

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 16 March 2005 - 01:52 PM

And I'm a little uncertain about your "526" megabytes of memory, since that's not a normal memory configuration. Are you sure it isn't "256?"

dude try typing "dxdiag"
in the run and it will give you a better info of your system
"Tiberia"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users