Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

X on Taskbar

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Lagato445

Lagato445

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:00 PM

Hi, i had a question, i use to have a whole bunch of spyware on my computer that i couldnt even access my control panel or change the time, but then i downloaded ad-adware and most of my computer got fixed. But i still have a X symbol on my task bar saying i have spyware, so does anyone know how to remove it, i also downloaded malewarebytes, but i still can't seem to get rid of the X saying my computer is infected if anyone knows how to fix this plz tell me :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 09 March 2008 - 11:13 PM.
Split from other topic and moved to appropriate forum ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lagato445

Lagato445
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:27 PM

After adding Ad-adware 2007, and Malwarebytes anti malware my computer seems to be fixed, but it seems to be running slower, like when im browsing the internet the pages come up slower and i seem to have alot of lag when giving my computer commands, do these antispyware programs slow your computer down? :thumbsup:

#3 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:50 PM

Realtime shields do take up memory. I have this laptop that uses a really powerful antimalware program that takes 1/4 gb.

Do not run more than one realtime shield at once, as it may cause the shields to be less effective.

Also read this topic:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44694/slow-computer/

Edited by PropagandaPanda, 10 March 2008 - 02:51 PM.

#4 Hilary Duff

Hilary Duff

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:52 PM

That is smitfraud please get smitfraudfix from here- www.precisesecurity.com/tools-resources/adware-tools/smitfraudfix/

Edited by Hilary Duff, 10 March 2008 - 04:52 PM.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:33 PM

Hello Lagato445 and welcome to BC,

In order to provide you with the proper disinfection procedures, we need more information from you.

What is your operating system: Windows XP, Vista etc.?

What security programs, besides AdAware, do you have installed? Please name them.

What kind of spyware do you have? What alerted you to it?

What did AdAware find? What did MalwareBites find?

If you indeed have a Smitfraud infection, we have a removal guide right here on BC written by our founder Grinler which we will direct you to if it is needed.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 10 March 2008 - 07:41 PM.
Merged topics to avoid confusion ~ OB

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#6 Lagato445

Lagato445
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:03 PM

i have a windows Xp other then that im not to sure on the specifics since im a computer noob, but when i click on that X that i was talking about winreanimator comes up, then i uninstall that program but when i turn on my computer agin it reinstalls itself :thumbsup: , i use to have another symbol a exclamation mark with a yellow triangle on it saying i had spyware, i got rid of that one with ad-adware, and i wasnt too sure what type of virus that one was, but i need help im trying to get my computer to run like when i first bought it, but when it comes to fixing em i have little to no experience :flowers:

#7 Lagato445

Lagato445
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:28 PM

i downloaded smitfraud and was about to use it but it says its for windows xp 2000 i have a xp 2002, can i sitll use it? hitting f8 when i start my computer doesnt take me safemode so i havent run smitfraud yet, is it ok for a 2002 to run it?

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:39 PM

Hello Lagato445,

We all start somewhere. A few years ago, I didn't know what the right click on a mouse was.

In order to find the specifics of your system, right click on My Computer, then Click on Properties. A window labeled System Properties will pop up. It should be on the General tab. You can see the tabs near the top. If it isn't click on the General tab. Near the top on the right, under system you will see the specifics of your operating system. Copy the information from that portion up to the point where it says "Registered to".

Ah, the additional information was of great help. Thank you. WinReanimator is a rogue security program. From your description, you have managed to remove a part of it with AdAware but not all. Please follow the directions in this removal guide: How to Remove WinReanimator If you have any questions while going through the guide or any difficulties, please post them as a reply to this thread.

Please post the MalwareBytes log as a reply when you have completed the guide. You can copy it from the notepad window that will pop up, then paste it in the text window of the reply.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:42 PM

Hello Lagato445,

We cross-posted I see. Please do not use the SmitfraudFix. For one thing, it has not been determined that you have Smitfraud. Please uninstall and remove SmitfraudFix from your computer. It is frequently updated. If you need to use it, you will be given full directions and the appropriate link on this site to the latest version.

Orange Blossom

#10 Lagato445

Lagato445
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:32 PM

thnx for all the help orange blossom and everyone else, here are the specifics on my computer its Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 service pack 2, also after running malwarebytes tonight here is what the log came up

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.08
Database version: 474

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 33682
Time elapsed: 5 minute(s), 53 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 1
Memory Modules Infected: 4
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 1
Files Infected: 10

Memory Processes Infected:
C:\Program Files\WinReanimator\WinReanimator.exe (Rogue.WinReanimator) -> Unloaded process successfully.

Memory Modules Infected:
c:\program files\winreanimator\winreanimator.dll (Rogue.WinReanimator) -> Unloaded module successfully.
C:\Program Files\WinReanimator\htmlayout.dll (Rogue.WinReanimator) -> Unloaded module successfully.
C:\Program Files\WinReanimator\pthreadVC2.dll (Rogue.WinReanimator) -> Unloaded module successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\users32.dat (Trojan.Agent) -> Unloaded module successfully.

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WinReanimator (Rogue.WinReanimator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\WinReanimator (Rogue.WinReanimator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Folders Infected:
C:\Program Files\WinReanimator (Rogue.WinReanimator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Infected:
c:\program files\winreanimator\winreanimator.dll (Rogue.WinReanimator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\WinReanimator\htmlayout.dll (Rogue.WinReanimator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\WinReanimator\pthreadVC2.dll (Rogue.WinReanimator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files\WinReanimator\WinReanimator.exe (Rogue.WinReanimator) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\users32.dat (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cru629.dat (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\braviax.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\braviax.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\cru629.dat (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winivstr.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

Hello Lagato445,

Thanks for the log. It looks as though malwarebytes removed a bunch of stuff. Did you reboot the computer? Some of the files won't go away without rebooting. How is the computer running now?

Orange Blossom

#12 Lagato445

Lagato445
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:26 PM

Wow the X symbol is actually gone, after malewarebytes my computer always reboots, but im running a online scan, its called Panda Activescan i think its a good program only thing is it takes a long time to finish. actually last time i ran panda activescan the spyware symbol went away, but when i turned on my computer again it was their, hope its gone for good now.

Edited by Lagato445, 12 March 2008 - 04:27 PM.

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:41 PM

Thanks for the update Lagato445,

I'm going to ask some malware removal experts look at your log and see if there is anything else that needs to be addressed.

after malewarebytes my computer always reboots

Can you please clarify what you mean by this? I interpret this to mean that your computer keeps shutting down on its own and restarting - which makes me wonder if you'll be able to complete the Panda scan. Or did you mean something else?

Orange Blossom

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,271 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:24 PM

I've seen this infection come with other malware so I want you to run another tool.

Please print out and follow the instructions for using SDFix in BC's self-help tutorial "How to use SDFix".
-- When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
When done, the SDFix report log will open in notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt. Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 Lagato445

Lagato445
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:20 PM

after i use malewarebytes my computer says it needs to reboot to fix the problems and tells me to click ok or to cancel i usually just click ok, i will try the sdfix program and see if that works. Also for the panda active scan to finish it take about 6-9 hours but im still on the internet while its scanning, and i finally got it done last night but then it say their was an error and my computer turned off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users