Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Certian Process Causes Cpu To Overheat

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:44 PM

While doing some random tinkering, I found that some processes have a tendency to make my CPU overheat.

"cat /dev/urandom > /dev/null", to be specific. With that running on both cores, the CPU temp alarm tripped at 60C. With other processes, like Folding@home running on both cores, the CPU tends to stay somewhere around 35C. Is this something I should be worried about and fix, or is it nothing and I should just not run that command anymore? (I ran it as a stress test).

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
2 GB RAM.
1 80MM fan, 1 120MM fan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:31 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki//dev/null
I think you'd be better off posting this in the Linux forum. I seen this discussed in various Linux forums but never with a reasonable clear-cut answer
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users