Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Agobot Worm?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CapturingLife

CapturingLife

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:43 PM

I have suspected that something was wrong with my laptop, my resources were bogging down right after I realized that my ISP was no longer using the services of Computer Associates for our "included" antivirus protection and apparently didn't update for nearly 2 weeks before I investigated and found this out on my own! ugh. I did every step in the prep guide here for the malware/spyware. I then went to the process library website to check each process on my task manager to see if there was anything that didn't seem "right". Well, when I got to the smss.exe process, it shows that it is actually the AGOBOT Worm? None of the programs seem to catch it. Can you help me?

I'm running Windows XP Media Center Edition on an HP Pavillion dv8000, Avast antivirus is the software I've been using recently.

thanks in advance.

also, I notice in my running processes quite a few of the svchost files, is it normal to have quite a few?

I ran the kaspersky scanner and it came up with 2 viruses and 4 infected objects. But it doesn't show which viruses?

here's the log:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KASPERSKY ONLINE SCANNER REPORT
Sunday, March 09, 2008 8:37:27 PM
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Kaspersky Online Scanner version: 5.0.98.0
Kaspersky Anti-Virus database last update: 9/03/2008
Kaspersky Anti-Virus database records: 620192
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scan Settings:
Scan using the following antivirus database: extended
Scan Archives: true
Scan Mail Bases: true

Scan Target - My Computer:
C:\
D:\
E:\

Scan Statistics:
Total number of scanned objects: 95825
Number of viruses found: 2
Number of infected objects: 4
Number of suspicious objects: 0
Duration of the scan process: 01:13:16

Infected Object Name / Virus Name / Last Action
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\eHome\logs\ehRecvr.log Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\muvee Technologies\030625\0102\0310\values Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Prism\7c2b4929 Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Cookies\index.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\NetworkService\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Sherry\Cookies\index.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Sherry\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Sherry\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows\UsrClass.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Sherry\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Sherry\Local Settings\History\History.IE5\MSHist012008030920080310\index.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Sherry\Local Settings\Temp\~DF9911.tmp Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Sherry\Local Settings\Temp\~DFAFCF.tmp Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Sherry\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\index.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Sherry\NTUSER.DAT Object is locked skipped
C:\Documents and Settings\Sherry\ntuser.dat.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\Program Files\2Wire\sst\VNC\MotVNC.exe/WISE0008.BIN Infected: not-a-virus:RemoteAdmin.Win32.WinVNC-based.b skipped
C:\Program Files\2Wire\sst\VNC\MotVNC.exe/WISE0009.BIN Infected: not-a-virus:RemoteAdmin.Win32.WinVNC-based.b skipped
C:\Program Files\2Wire\sst\VNC\MotVNC.exe WiseSFX: infected - 2 skipped
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\aswResp.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\Avast4.db Object is locked skipped
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\nshield.log Object is locked skipped
C:\System Volume Information\MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase Object is locked skipped
C:\System Volume Information\tracking.log Object is locked skipped
C:\System Volume Information\_restore{BFAA719B-281F-45B6-9E39-9D4BB578C2A4}\RP187\change.log Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\Debug\PASSWD.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll Infected: not-a-virus:Downloader.Win32.PopCap.b skipped
C:\WINDOWS\ModemLog_AC97 Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP.txt Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\Registration\{02D4B3F1-FD88-11D1-960D-00805FC79235}.{08875917-B6EB-4625-8D16-2D2DEBC17D48}.crmlog Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\SchedLgU.Txt Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\ReportingEvents.log Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\Sti_Trace.log Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\edb.log Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot2\tmp.edb Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\Antivirus.Evt Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\AppEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\default.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\Media Ce.evt Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SAM.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SecEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SECURITY.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\SysEvent.Evt Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system.LOG Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\h323log.txt Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.BTR Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\INDEX.MAP Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING.VER Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING1.MAP Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\MAPPING2.MAP Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.DATA Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\Repository\FS\OBJECTS.MAP Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\Temp\Perflib_Perfdata_3a4.dat Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\wiadebug.log Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\wiaservc.log Object is locked skipped
C:\WINDOWS\WindowsUpdate.log Object is locked skipped
D:\System Volume Information\MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase Object is locked skipped

Scan process completed.

Edited by CapturingLife, 09 March 2008 - 09:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:47 PM

Hello, run this scan it will produce an easier to read log for you.

Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then SUPERAntiSpyware , Free Home Version. Save both to desktop ..
DO NOT run yet.
Open SUPER from icon and install and Update it
Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining
Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
Click the Empty Selected button.

If you use Firefox or Opers browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

NOW Scan with SUPER
Open from the desktop icon or the program Files list
On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
Perform a Complete scan. After scan,Verify they are all checked.
Click OK on the summary screen to quarantine all found items.
If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.

To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log.
A text file will open in your default text editor.
Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
Click Close to exit the program.

Please ask any needed questions,post log and Let us know how the PC is running now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 CapturingLife

CapturingLife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:54 PM

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 03/11/2008 at 09:04 PM

Application Version : 4.0.1154

Core Rules Database Version : 3417
Trace Rules Database Version: 1409

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 01:27:15

Memory items scanned : 178
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 6574
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 14093
File threats detected : 0

System is still running the same.

Edited by CapturingLife, 12 March 2008 - 11:27 AM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:07 PM

How is the comp running now,any better after 2 scans?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 CapturingLife

CapturingLife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:15 PM

No, it is still super-slow. :thumbsup:

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,195 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:42 PM

Rats !! let's do this scan.
Please download Download Attribune's ATF Cleaner and then Dr.Web CureIt . Save both to desktop .. DO NOT run yet.

Now reboot into Safe Mode: How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.

If you use Firefox or Opers browser click that browser at the top and choose: Select All
If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.

Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

NEXT: Scan with Dr.Web CureIt
Double-click on cureit.exe to start the program. (ignore any prompts to update or check for a new version)
When the Dr.Web opens, an "Express Scan of your PC" notice will appear.
Under "Start the Express Scan Now", Click "OK" to start. This is a short scan that will scan the files currently running in memory.
If something is found, click the Yes button when it asks you to cure it.
Once the short scan has finished, Click Options > Change settings
Choose the "Scan tab" and UNcheck "Heuristic analysis"
Back at the main window, click "Select drives" (a red dot will show which drives have been chosen)
Then click the "Start/Stop Scanning" button (green arrow on the right) and the scan will start.
When done, a message will be displayed at the bottom advising if any viruses were found.
Click "Yes to all" if it asks if you want to cure/move the file.
When the scan has finished, look if you can see the icon next to the files found. If so, click it, then click the next icon right below and select "Move incurable".
(This will move it to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if it can't be cured)
Next, in the Dr.Web CureIt menu on top, click file and choose save report list.
Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)
Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web in your next reply.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:53 PM

If Dr.Web CureIt fails to get popcaploader.dll, do this:

Please download OTMoveIt2 by OldTimer and save to your Desktop.
  • Double-click on OTMoveIt2.exe to launch the program.
  • Copy the file(s)/folder(s) paths listed below - highlight everything in the quote box and press CTRL+C or right-click and choose Copy.

C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll

• Return to OTMoveIt2, right-click in the open text box labeled "Paste List of Files/Folders to be Moved" (under the light blue bar) and choose Paste.
  • Click the red MoveIt! button.
  • The list will be processed and the results will be displayed in the right-hand pane.
  • Highlight everything in the Results window (under the green bar), press CTRL+C or right-click, choose Copy, right-click again and Paste it in your next reply.
  • Click Exit when done.
  • A log of the results is automatically created and saved to C:\_OTMoveIt\MovedFiles \mmddyyyy_hhmmss.log <- the date/time the tool was run.
-- Note: If a file or folder cannot be moved immediately you may be asked to reboot your computer in order to finish the move process. If asked to reboot, choose Yes. If not, reboot anyway.

Caution: Be careful of what you copy and paste with this tool. OTMoveIt is a powerful program, designed to move highly persistent files and folders. Not following the directions as instructed or using incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system.

I notice in my running processes quite a few of the svchost files, is it normal to have quite a few?

Yes.
Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for a group of services that are run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs) and can run other services underneath itself. This is a valid system process that belongs to the Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. It runs from the registry key, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Svchost where details of the services running under each instance of svchost.exe can be found. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load.

It is not unusual for multiple instances of Svchost.exe running at the same time in Task manager in order to optimise the running of the various services.

svchost.exe SYSTEM
svchost.exe LOCAL SERVICE
svchost.exe NETWORK SERVICE

Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, therefore, separate services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This grouping of services permits better control and easier debugging. The process ID's (PID's) are not static and can change with each logon but generally they stay nearly the same because they are running services all the time. The PID's must be checked in real time to determine what services each instance of svchost.exe is controlling at that particular time.

Determining whether a file is malware or a legitimate process sometimes depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file like svchost.exe. However, it then places itself in a different location on your computer. In XP, the legitimate Svchost.exe file is located in your C:\WINDOWS\system32\ folder.

Other legitimate copies can be found in the following folders:
C:\I386
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\
C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\
C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\SVCHOST.EXE-3530F672.pf

There are several ways to investigate svchost.exe and related processes. First, see "How to determine what services are running under a Svchost.exe process".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 CapturingLife

CapturingLife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:42 PM

C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll unregistered successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\popcaploader.dll moved successfully.

OTMoveIt2 by OldTimer - Version 1.0.21 log created on 03132008_153614

As soon as I moved that file, my AVG antispyware popped up and asked how I'd like to proceed with this file: clean & quarantine, just clean, ignore or ignore and add to exceptions? it won't let me just close without chosing one.

Thank you both for jumping in here to help!

Thank you for all of the info on the svchost files! It is so appreciated! Do you know any info about the smss.exe process? Is it truly a variant/result of the AGOBOT worm?

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 06:05 PM

You can let AVG quarantine it.

smss.exe is the session manager subsystem process which is responsible for starting the user session. It is initiated by the system thread and is responsible for various activities including launching the Winlogon and Csrss.exe processes and setting system variables.

Determining whether smss.exe is malware or a legitimate Windows process depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file. However, it then places itself in a different location on your computer. The legit smss.exe file is located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. If found running from a different location it is malware.

You can download and use Process Explorer or System Explorer to investigate all running processes and gather additional information to identify and resolve problems. These tools will show the process CPU usage, a description and its path location. If you right-click on the file in question and select properties, you will see more details about the file.

#10 CapturingLife

CapturingLife
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:27 PM

I can't thank you enough for all of your help!

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2008 - 08:04 AM

Now to cleanup. Connect to the Internet and double-click on OTMoveIt2.exe to launch the program again.
  • Click on the green CleanUp! button.
  • When you do this a text file named cleanup.txt will be downloaded from the Internet.
  • If you get a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTMoveIt attempting to contact the Internet you should allow it to do so.
  • After the text file has been downloaded, you will be asked if you want to Begin cleanup process?
  • Select Yes.
  • Doing this will remove the specialized tools I had you download/run.
Then you should Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users