Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Connect To Internet Via Ethernet - Usb Ok

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Longy

Longy

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:22 PM

I have a need to access internet from both computers on my LAN. Both systems are running XP Pro - SP2
I have a Dlink 502T Modem that will access via USB without any problems.
The LAN requires me to use static IP addresses (192.168.1.5 and 192.168.1.4) on each computer so I cannot use Internet sharing.
The LAN originally was set up by x-over cable, and I have now installed a TPlink TL-SF1005D switch with straight thru cables - the LAN works fine.
When I plug in the modem into the switch (USB unplugged) i cannot access the internet from either computer. Remove the ethernet cable and reconnect the USB all OK.
ISP refuses to help because they claim LAN problem. They say we are connected and the problem is on our end.
Using browser modem interface have changed ethernet IP address to 192.168.1.50 but still no success.
Modem diagnostics indicate that ISP and ADSL connection is all OK.
I have disabled windows firewall and AVG antivirus without success.
I have also tried directly connecting one PC to modem via ethernet with the same results.
I have also tried another new TPlink ADSL/router but with the same result. LAN works OK over eh=thernet but Internet not OK.
Is there some setting in XP that blocks PPPoe connection?
What else could be blocking the connection?

Edited by Longy, 09 March 2008 - 06:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Baric

Baric

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:32 PM

It sounds to me like your D-Link router is not configured how you think it should be. You say your LAN requires you to use particular static IP addresses, why? It's your LAN, you can configure it any way you like behind the router's NAT firewall. You also say you can't get at the router's setup pages at http://192.168.1.50? Again, an indication the router is not configured how you think it is.

There might also be a problem with the router's ethernet interface.

I would suggest one of two things:

1. Remove any USB connection from the router and power cycle it. Now configure one of your XP boxes to get an automatically assigned IP address, and direct connect it to the router using an ethernet cable. Then open up a Command Prompt and post the output of "ipconfig /all". The output of that command might tell us all we need to know, like what IP address your router's LAN interface is at and more importantly, what subnet it's on. My guess is that it's not on 192.168.1/24 and your static config of IP addresses on that subnet is the problem. From here, we can determine how to properly configure your router and XP systems, and connect them using the ethernet switch to the ethernet port on the router. But we shouldn't speculate too far in advance of our data.

2. More drastic, but a good way to get to a clean state. Make sure you have all the specific connection info required by your ADSL provider and then reset the router to factory defaults using the reset switch on the back of the router. Then configure an XP as above and connect to the router via ethernet. Point your browser at http://10.1.1.1 and enter your ADSL connection info. If that computer can now talk on the Internet, then configure the other boxes similarly, connect them to the switch, and the switch's uplink port to the ethernet port on the router. And you're good to go. If you really want things on 192.168.1/24, then you can go change the router's LAN side setup to use that network, then statically assign your boxes to available IP's on that subnet.

#3 Longy

Longy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:34 PM

Thanks Baric - I will try your suggestions, but I think I already have tried these steps - I will repost results.

#4 Longy

Longy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:45 PM

Got it working but not real sure on the why!

As suggested I connected 1 box via ethernet and auto assigned IP/DNS. It connected to the ISP and Internet OK.

IPCONFIG /ALL returned an IP of 10.1.1.2 Subnet 255.0.0.0 DHCP Server 10.1.1.1 and DNS Server 10.1.1.1

I tried to reconfigure the router to use 192.168.1.1 without success so noting BARIC's comments about my own network behind the router decided to use the 10.1.1.* IP range.

I switched off the DHCP server in the router and set the first box to IP 10.1.1.2, Subnet 255.0.0.0, Gateway 10.1.1.1 and DNS to 10.1.1.1

I was able to connect to the ISP and Internet. I went to the second box and configured as box 1 but with assigned IP of 10.1.1.3

It was able to connect to both box 1 and ISP/Internet. At this point I decided 'if it aint broke, don't fix it'.

What I don't understand is why the LAN will not work with auto assigned IP's on the boxes, and why I can't change the IP's to the 192.168.1.* range,!

Thanks again for your suggestions BARIC - they seem to have fixed it even if 'me no understand'.

#5 Baric

Baric

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2008 - 02:15 AM

But it does work with DHCP assigned IP's, you proved that with your first test. What didn't work was you using static IP's on a completely different subnet from the router's configuration. Not sure why you wanted to use 192.168.1.4 and .5, your router isn't configured to work with addresses in that range. If you really, really want to work on 192.168.1/24, that's simple enough to do. On the router's Home -> LAN page, change the IP Address to 192.168.1.1 and the Subnet Mask to 255.255.255.0 and click the Apply button. Then on the router's Home -> DHCP page, change the Starting and Ending IP address to whatever range you like (anything from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254). On this page you can also set static IP configurations for your systems based on MAC address. So for computer one, if you want to set a static IP of 192.168.1.4, just enter that and the computer's MAC address from the ethernet card. Then all your computers can be configured alike with automatic IP assignments and the router will take care of making sure each system is assigned the same IP address every time.

Once you make these changes, the router's interface will now be at http://192.168.1.1 instead of http://10.1.1.1, of course.

#6 Longy

Longy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:00 AM

Thanks Baric,

I think I understand. The 10.1.1.1 address was on subnet 255.0.0.0.

My 192.168.1.* network was on 255.255.255.0 and therefore they could not see each other - is that correct?

I really appreciate the assistance - Thanks again. :thumbsup:

#7 Baric

Baric

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:20 AM

The 10.1.1.1 address was on subnet 255.0.0.0.

My 192.168.1.* network was on 255.255.255.0 and therefore they could not see each other - is that correct?

Yep, that's it :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users