Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multimedia Audio Controller?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 steve g

steve g

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:14 PM

I just reinstalled XP pro on my dell dimension 8400....

i have the original resource CD and loaded all the drivers that it had on it but under my device manager it shows a yellow question mark next to the "Multimedia Audio Controller"....

I have installed some "soundmax" drivers and they restart my computer after they load, but then when i check the device manager it still shows Multimedia Audio Controller w/ a ?-mark.... and my computer still has no audio...

Besides the Multimedia Audio Controller, the only other yellow ?-mark is for a "PCI Modem", so i think i covered every other basis as far as reinstalling drivers.

any suggestions/solutions

THANKS in advanced!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Baric

Baric

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:25 PM

I had the same problem with an old Dell system of mine after reloading the OS after a hard drive crash. Dell has all the drivers for its hardware online at their website, just have to find the right one. For your box, I think this link will help:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...lang=en&cs=

For the modem, just do a search there for "8400 pci modem driver" and I expect you will find what you're looking for.

#3 steve g

steve g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:50 PM

thanks for your advice....

i did what you suggested on my own earlier today, and i tried again using your link... but no luck..

even to double-check myself i updated my chipset drivers, and then tried the sound... no luck either; the multimedia audio controller still has the yellow question mark and i don't have sound.... i have not changed any hardware since my reinstall either... WHAT THE BEEP IS GOING ON!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:46 PM

By any chance is this High Definition Audio? If so, the drivers won't install correctly until you install the High Definition update from Microsoft.

Open up Device Manager (by going to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter), then right click on the audio device and select Properties.

Then select the Details tab, and look for Hardware ID in the dropdown box.
Locate the 4 characters after the VEN_ and the 4 characters after the DEV_

Then go to http://www.pcidatabase.com and enter the characters after the VEN_ in the Vendor search box.
Once you get the vendor page open, search that page for the DEV_ characters. If it says High Definition there, then you'll need the High Definition Update.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 steve g

steve g
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:01 PM

no they arent, standard speakers that came with the computer in 2004...

dell had taken control of my desktop for 2 hours yesterday through the online-support and were unable to get me sound, although they were able to get rid of the yellow ?-mark next to multimedia audio controller... sooo annoying!

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:01 PM

Have to ask, are you sure the speakers work? Also, the power supply plug for the speakers could be bad
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users