Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Won't Turn On After Resetting Cmos

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 docpoco

docpoco

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:58 PM

I was attempting to fix a computer for a guy at work. His Compaq desktop would randomly freeze up. Reformat did not help. Replaced HD.... no help.

So I tested the PSU and CPU... both were good. So I found a replacement Gigabyte MOBO online. Computer booted fine. I formatted HD succesfully, and began to install XP. But it started telling me that files were missing, and it wouldn't complete an install. CD is good.

After several unsuccesful attempts to install XP, I decided to try and flash the BIOS using the drdflash utility to create a boot disk without drivers. However, I kept getting an error message saying that the boot disk failed, so I decided to try and reset CMOS.

So I took out the battery on the mobo and unplugged it for 15 minutes.

Now the computer won't turn on. Nothing else was unplugged. I have checked all connections. Please help if you can.

This thing is about to become target practice for my .22.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:08 PM

Probably a stupid question because you sound very well versed in what you are doing but did you try to boot without the battery and did you actually try to clear/reset the cmos per the mobo manufacturer's instructions (ie, sometimes requires a jumper to be moved on the mobo)? I apologize if I am sounding so rudimentary.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:18 PM

Did you replace the CMOS battery with a new one?

Louis

#4 docpoco

docpoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:29 PM

Probably a stupid question because you sound very well versed in what you are doing but did you try to boot without the battery and did you actually try to clear/reset the cmos per the mobo manufacturer's instructions (ie, sometimes requires a jumper to be moved on the mobo)? I apologize if I am sounding so rudimentary.

I did not try to boot without the battery. I also didn't see a jumper for CMOS, but I don't have a mobo manual. I assumed removing battery would reset it regardless.

Please don't mistake my use of computer terms as actual computer intelligence. I know just enough to get in trouble.

And to answer the other question, no it is not a new battery. The old one was working fine. Even so I tried a brand new one, and it still would work.

#5 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:41 PM

There has to be a way to clear/reset the cmos properly so are there any identification numbers on the mobo that could be used to locate the manual online?

Edited by ucanfixit, 09 March 2008 - 06:43 PM.

#6 docpoco

docpoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:59 PM

I found the manual online. Do you think that removing the battery but not resetting the CMOS (apparently) is the problem?

#7 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:34 PM

No way to tell unless you try it.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:59 PM

removing the battery? whoever got that started?

electronics 101:

power supply with large capacitors
motherboard with more

capacitors are just batteries

Old school before clear cmos jumpers(and this still applies today!)

pull the power cable, wait

wait some more

did the little neon light go out on the mobo?

now it's safe to try doing anything in the case
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:27 PM

To answer your question, the original poster made that statement in his first post.

"So I took out the battery on the mobo and unplugged it for 15 minutes"

So, it was already done...

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 10:00 PM

So, it was already done...

you completely missed the point

turn off your computer, the neon light stays on, power is still active to the mobo, pull the power cord the light goes out

this has been standard procedure for years

pull the side off your case and confirm, I just did

what question? I was just stating a fact!

Edited by DaChew, 09 March 2008 - 10:02 PM.

Chewy

#11 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:21 PM

He already pulled the battery before he posted so your instructions are coming after the fact.

Edited by ucanfixit, 09 March 2008 - 11:21 PM.

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 06:39 AM

the purpose of the forum is to help people and educate, never assume it's only the original poster reading it

this is not the first thread the battery issue has come up, I am just trying to clarify what powering completely down entailed

much of what we do is monday morning quarterbacking, unfortunately

let's at least try to be correct with it

Edited by DaChew, 10 March 2008 - 06:50 AM.

Chewy

#13 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:38 AM

Good morning Dachew,

If your intent was to educate the original poster (and future readers), on "what to do next time", now that I can understand. However, it was your opeining statement "removing the battery? whoever got that started?" that cofused me because I couldn't figure out how that statement fit into the flow of the post. Anyway, yes; it is good information (as you always provide) for future reference.

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:15 AM

The OP also mentioned that they flashed the BIOS. Bad BIOS flash = Boat Anchor
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#15 docpoco

docpoco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:37 PM

Good morning Dachew,

If your intent was to educate the original poster (and future readers), on "what to do next time", now that I can understand. However, it was your opeining statement "removing the battery? whoever got that started?" that cofused me because I couldn't figure out how that statement fit into the flow of the post. Anyway, yes; it is good information (as you always provide) for future reference.

I couldn't flash the Bios because the drdflash.exe program that I used to create a boot disk without drivers did not work. There currently is not an OS on the machine, because XP would not install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users