Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Windows

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:19 PM

Hi,

I recently had a problem with my computer and bought a lot of new components. I reinstalled Windows and spent a couple of days getting my system back to how I wanted it before it became crippled by a virus which I couldnít delete.

I backed up my files and attempted to reinstall Windows but it wonít work even though itís the same Windows XP Pro disc I used a few days ago when the reinstall went fine.

When I try to reinstall now, I format the C drive and the Windows CD copies the setup files, but when it restarts at the end it just goes back to the CD setup screen again instead of continuing with the installation. If I tell it to install again it says that there is already a Windows installation on the hard drive so the files obviously copied OK. Iíve tried installing four times now (formatting again each time) and the same thing has happened.

Iíve tried changing the boot priority after the restart, so that the hard drive is first priority. When I do that I get the Asus motherboard screen as usually then the screen goes black and then the computer restarts and just goes round in circles.

Please can someone tell me how to stop this from happening and reinstall Windows?

Thanks,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:08 PM

Are doing a clean install, where you've deleted all partitions on the drive?

Are you then using XP to format/create the new partition?

Is this an OEM version of XP?

Make the optical drive the boot priority in the BIOS.

Louis

#3 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:40 AM

Hi hamluis,

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't deleted the partition before formatting. I didn't realise you needed to, but now it's installed.

The first thing I did when it was installed was install PC-Cillin Internet Security 2006, update it online and scan my D drive to make sure there was nothing bad left on there.

During the scan the computer restarted and when it started up again I got a box saying Windows has recovered from a serious error which was worrying. I went back and scanned the rest of the files the PC-Cillin hadn't got to yet and it scanned them OK and found nothing.

Do you know what could have caused that problem and how I can stop it happening again? It did used to restart before I reinstalled Windows when the system was infected but then I used to get the blue screen first which didn't happen this time?

Thanks,
Joe

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:15 AM

you can get a good install of windows but if you miss a critical step it won't boot, the boot partition has to be initialized and made active

this usually happens when you partition and format from within disk management with the drive slaved to another install?

If I am trying to clean up a system partition I delete it from windows setup before formating, this will make it active

so far it has not borked the data partition at all, this would have killed it with fdisk
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:29 AM

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Try using Event Viewer for detail on any error messages occurring on your system.

The error message is not uncommon and not necessarily a cause for concern, IMO. I suggest updating XP for all critical updates and possibly considering updating drivers if it occurs repeatedly.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317277

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316424

Louis

#6 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:02 AM

Thanks for the advice. I've finally fixed the problem now. It turned out that it was a bad RAM module (serves me right for buying the cheapest I could find on eBay).

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,426 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:27 AM

Feedback appreciated, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users