Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Backup Laptop To Simpleshare Drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 katiecalf

katiecalf

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:25 PM

Every time I try backing up my laptop running Vista Home Premium to my NAS I find it along with my other computer plus the laptop showing in the Network but when I go to back up it wants a user name and password. I don't use passwords on my computers so have no idea what it is asking for. I can access any of the network for saving or file moving etc. just won't let me backup to any of them. I have scanned various forums and find other people having same problems and have tried their offered solutions with no luck. I was wondering if anyone here has a suggestion? Oh also have tried to backup to the other computer and to an external hard drive attached by usb to it and no luck it still comes up with the same box for user name and password
thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:45 PM

I can't offer any suggestions for the network thing but I do know that many software backup programs have an option to turn on password authentication. It could also be a permissions thing but my experience lies with XP on those matters.

#3 katiecalf

katiecalf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:28 PM

sorry should have mentioned just trying to use the Microsoft software that came with Vista. Evidently Simple Tech won't transfer registrations and the friend I got the drive from can't get into his Simple Share Account so that means the software that came with the drive is useless. I think if I don't find a solution I will buy a stand alone backup program.

#4 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 05:41 PM

sorry should have mentioned just trying to use the Microsoft software that came with Vista. Evidently Simple Tech won't transfer registrations and the friend I got the drive from can't get into his Simple Share Account so that means the software that came with the drive is useless. I think if I don't find a solution I will buy a stand alone backup program.

Your explanation leaves me a little confused (but I'm easy to confuse anyway). So it sounds like you have resolved/understand the network issue but how does that explain not being able to backup directly to an external hard drive using the Microsoft backup program?

Edited by ucanfixit, 09 March 2008 - 05:42 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:21 PM

2 good, freeware backup programs are SyncBackSE and Cobian. You can find them (and a lot of other free apps) at this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 katiecalf

katiecalf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:43 PM

Your explanation leaves me a little confused (but I'm easy to confuse anyway). So it sounds like you have resolved/understand the network issue but how does that explain not being able to backup directly to an external hard drive using the Microsoft backup program?

ucanfixit I understand the network issue. What the original post stated was it is a NAS(SimpleShare) that is connected to my Linksys WRT54 wireless router by lan port. I am trying to backup to this and I have no restrictions on it or any part of the network , I have no passwords set on the network, nor on any of my computers. I have the settings in the SimpleShare(NAS) set with no restrictions. I am trying to use Windows Vista Backup Utility but when I try to back up the SimpleShare or for that matter to any of the network devices, 2nd Computer 1st Computer, it finds them all then after naming which folder I want to back up to it goes to a pop up screen that asks for a user name and password, now since I have NO passwords set anywhere I was asking if anyone had a work around this or how do I solve the matter, If you will explain what you are confused about I will try to explain it in another way. If you are confused about the external hard driveI mentioned in earlier post that is my 2nd external HD that is connected to Computer 2 via USB port and Vista backup will not let me backup to that either. I just would like to get the machine backed up.
Thanks usasma I will try the programs you suggested.

#7 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:21 PM

"Oh also have tried to backup to the other computer and to an external hard drive attached by usb to it"

The above statement is what confused me. I took that statement to mean that you tried first to backup to the other computer and second you tried to backup to an external hard drive that was attached by a usb connection.

Now, you second post provided the clarifications I needed to clearly understand what you were trying to do. My apologies for not understanding your intent the first time; however, I must say that the way you expressed your problem (via the above specific statement) left plenty of room for interpretation on the reader's part.

And now that I know the real issue, I will tell you that (in my humble opinion) you will not have any more success with a different backup program than you did with the standard Microsoft backup software; however, please prove me incorrect and post back with a success story (hopefully).

#8 katiecalf

katiecalf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:49 PM

well I did find a solution, one I had read when I plugged the problem into google earlier today but I was determined to do it from computer 1 running Vista. I went to computer 2 running windows xp and told it to backup computer 1 to the NAS drive. HMMMM what do you know I now have my backup where I want it within 5 minutes of when I told it to do it. What a waste of a Sunday just for being stubborn and figuring must be a way around it. LOL
thanks for your help and I have downloaded the programs usasma suggested and will try them this week.

#9 ucanfixit

ucanfixit

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:31 PM

katiecalf,

Glad you made some progress; good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users