Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware Or Software (virus) Issue? Bleep.... Bleep, Bleep

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mickyd67

mickyd67

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:57 PM

Hi all - a newbie here, so sorry if this has been asked before.

I have a HP Pavilion DV2188ea laptop. Since Friday night I've had a bit of a problem with it. When it's off, and I press the on button it is making a "PC Bleep" 1 bleep, followed by 2 shorter bleeps in quick succession. When I say PC Bleep I mean the loud bleep that older PCís used to make (well, thatís what I remember from back in the day)

It takes me about 15 attempts to get into Vista; and when I am in there doesn't appear to be a problem.

I've run a virus scan, using Symantec AV, on all User Accounts on the laptop. Nothing has been found.

I've removed and re-inserted the RAM - as it was suggested that might be the problem.

It seemed to 'fix itself' yesterday, rebooted it on a number of occasion, no problem. Tried it again this morning and it started again. About 10 attempts later I got in. The thing is, I am now reluctant to switch the laptop off - I think I'll just leave it in hibernation/ standby mode.

Anyone any idea what the cause of this problem might be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:08 PM

http://docs.hp.com/en/AB216-90001/ch04s03.html

Louis

#3 mickyd67

mickyd67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 03:17 PM

http://docs.hp.com/en/AB216-90001/ch04s03.html

Louis

Thanks for that - I suppose the best thing I could do is remove one of the RAM modules and if it does it again then replace it with the other one.

I'm not sure why it would work sometimes though - and not others?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:50 PM

It's a process of elimination when troubleshooting.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users